Oscar help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JC_Bus

Aquarium Advice Freak
My neighbor got an oscar yesterday and is being bullied. I told him I might be able to take it in. I just need to ask you guys if I can keep him in a 10 gallon for a month. In a month I'll have money to get a 75 and be able to get all the things for it. It's about 2 1/2 to 3 inches right now. Will it be okay in the 10 gallon for a month? I have a 60 gallon but there's mollies in it. That wouldn't be a good idea correct? Thanks for the help!

I don't have the oscar right now

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't put Oscar eggs in a 10 gallon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's pretty young. He called the pet store and said it was a young fish only a few weeks.

He measured the oscar and it's 2 1/4 inches long

What if you temporarily put the mollies (depending on the number of them) in the 10 gallon and put the oscar in the 60 gallon?

I have 4 right now. It will only be for a while. Do you think that will be okay?

Turns out that my dad has a 55 gallon and everything that he's had for about three years and didn't get any fish!! Lol!!! I can I put the oscar there? I read they need at least a 70 gallon but will a 55 work? It's just the one oscar.

Turns out that my dad has a 55 gallon and everything that he's had for about three years and didn't get any fish!! Lol!!! I can I put the oscar there? I read they need at least a 70 gallon but will a 55 work? It's just the one oscar.

An Oscar really needs something larger like the 70g+. The 55 won't do well because of the tight footprint (front to back) that it has. It'd be better off going back to the store it came from. On the flip side of the coin, what size tank is it in now and what are the tank mates ? It's quite often the newbie gets picked on for a while.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I had a oscar in a 55, had him for 5 years... did just fine. Would have really liked to have found him a larger tank but anywho...

Heres an idea... put him in with the mollies. He'll be full and have all the space he wants! Haha just playin...

If hes still young you should be fine in a smaller tank but not any longer than you need to! He needs a large home to be able to move!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What if you temporarily put the mollies (depending on the number of them) in the 10 gallon and put the oscar in the 60 gallon?

I agree with this. Oscars can grow fast and I'd never think of putting one in a tank so small. Move the mollies in the 10g. Plus, you can say you are going to get that 75g soon, but life comes along and may crap on your plans :) better to think it out ahead of time just in case.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thank you guys so much!

Back
Top Bottom