Oscar in 75 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathey6

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am waiting on my mom to see if I can get a 55 or 75 gallon tank, but in the meantime, at Petsmart they sell big and little tiger oscar chichlids and I was wondering if these are the same species and the big ones are older, or what, and if on oscar would do ok in a 75 gallon. Also, do you know where I can get aquarium gravel cheap? Thanks!

At least a Oscar needs a 75G and I think that is with any Oscar (please correct me if I'm wrong!) check online for the gravel though. But they are the same as the ones with petsmart.

nathey6 said:
I am waiting on my mom to see if I can get a 55 or 75 gallon tank, but in the meantime, at Petsmart they sell big and little tiger oscar chichlids and I was wondering if these are the same species and the big ones are older, or what, and if on oscar would do ok in a 75 gallon. Also, do you know where I can get aquarium gravel cheap? Thanks!

Your oscar will do well in a 75. Even a full grown one with proper filtration and maintanence IMO. try pool filter sand at home depot

If you get sand make sure you rinse it first. Takes time and definitely don't do it in your sink!!!

I would not recomend sand for an oscar,they poop BIG,and like to decorate there own tank,it will end up in your filter.
The liitle ones grow into the big ones.
Home depot has a gravel made by" quick create" that you can use,its $8 for 50lbs,it is safe,but wash it good.

If you get a larger grained silicate based sand like Pool filter sand you won't have to worry about it getting sucked into your filter. IMO sand is much better for fish with large bio loads it stays on the surface and
gets sucked up by the filter. Instead of falling down into the gravel.

A 75 would be bare minimum for an adult Oscar with no tank mates IMO. For filtration I would not buy anything less than a Fluval Fx5.

Agreed on the fx5,im just not one for sand,iv thought about it but my jags are diggers,i find gravel easy to clean with a python,but thats just me

I dont want it in my system,nor any chance of it ,iv seen sandy cannisters, and i quite like my gravel,it holds waste nice and makes my life easy for cleaning,and i really prefer the look it adds to my other furniture

i would say 75 gallon minimum you could also put 3 silver dollars in with it or maybe one convict or one firemouth cichlid, depends on your oscars temperment. most captive bred oscars wont grow to be 17" its fairly uncommon. 75 gallon will be fine IF you keep up with your water changes and provide appropriate filtration, the choice between sand or gravel is up to you, whichever you want. sand may get caught in the filter but is easier to clean, gravel being the opposite (harder to clean but wont get stuck in filter) personally i would go for gravel. also remember to cycle your tank or you fish will not survive. read up on cycling and also the requirements for oscars, especially there feeding.

Back
Top Bottom