Oscar tank: from concept to reality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rcguerra

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Greetings,

I am about to purchase a young tiger oscar, but the ultimate goal is to have it as a living room center piece Brazilian biotope. The entire idea stated about 4 years ago, but I did not have the resources to get anything bigger than 75 gallons. Well, things changed, and I am here to get some recommendations from more experienced AA members:

The tank:

Width: 72" (182.88cm)
Height: 24" (60.96cm)
Depth: 18" (45.72cm)

volume is approximately 31,104.0 cubic inches or 134.6 U.S. gallons, which is approximately 523.8 liters. Got if from CL this Sunday for US$50.00. Stand included. Yes. 50 bucks.

Currently featuring 4 20" Fluorescent hoods. The tank will not be planted, so I might use a 48" Finnex LED and play with the design to have a "shadowed" corner.

Filtration options:

I have available for immediate usage: 2 Aquaclear 110, 1 Fluval 406 Canister. I can use one of each or any combination. After some readings though, investing on a Fluval FX5 is not outside my current budget.

Heaters:

I have 2 300w available, but I really need to know if all the stuff about oscars exploding heaters trying to bite the light is true. Should I get titanium ones?

Substrate:

Not sure yet. Would love black sand, but I never had a large fish. Do Oscars make it really messy and I will end up with a black sand filter compartment?

Ornaments:

River stones (big ones) and most likely one single driftwood piece. Something big enough to work as a refuge/cage for an adult, well developed Oscar (18"?).

Why am I here? Well, besides reading the classic sources, forums and commercial sites, I would like to read hands-on experience from other people. Personal experiences, recommendations, dos and donts, tips and tricks on maximazing the experience of the viewer, the quality of life of the fish and minimize struggles from the regular maintenance. Please share pictures as well. Hopefully this topic can become a reference for others in the future as we progress.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations, constructive criticism and, of cource, your time.

This is very inspiring, just to share the direction that I have in mind. Black background though.

Attachments

• BiotopeBrazil.jpg
    BiotopeBrazil.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 159
Filtration :Im running dual AC110s on my 75 now with no issues , when I move to my 180 I will be running a sump , and probally an Fx6 , you want to filter at the min , 6 times your tank an hour . so 134 gallons you want at the least 800 GPH filtration . If you have the funds and dont want to run a sump , I would say Grab the Fx5 and run the ACs, you cant go wrong with over filtration . AC 110s are 500 GPH (each ) and the Fx5 is 500 GPH to 600 GPH depending on what media you use.( specs say 900GPH but thats empty ).

Size : The biggest Oscar in Captivity Ive personally seen is 13 inches , ( mine is around 9 now ) .

Lighting : if your not planting its up to you lol

Heaters : I would get the shatter proof ones , you could do 2 150w shatter proof , my oscar likes to drag things around his tank.. and yes he has pulled the heater off.. if you go the sump route you can put one of your 300w in there with no worries ..

Substrate : Im running Sand in 75 and will probally run Sand in the 180 havent had a problem with it gumming up filters .

Decor : up to you , just make sure its big enough he/she cant drag it around , like i said , I have a few fake plants he likes to drag around .. lol...

Im sure some others will chime in and say what works for them .. but this is what I have came up with from my Exp , and research .. Make sure to post some pics once you get it all up and goin ..

Finally found a pair of Oscars that were within what I was looking for!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429774279.097148.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429774335.582846.jpg

Currently in a 60 gallon planted tank, waiting for their place to be ready.

The tank us now full, running 2 AC110 and 2 shatter proof Aqueon Pro 250w.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429774412.635302.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I also got as a left over on a local fish club auction a self cloning marble crayfish, as a potential source of food for the oscars.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429774533.394828.jpg

After about 50 minutes of aclimation, the oscars have been released.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429846693.798067.jpg

There so little, I couldn't find them at first. It's awesome that they have such a tank to grow massive in

Thank you, I really want to provide the best I can afford.

These are some of the inspirarions for decoration:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429849486.275134.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429849504.229304.jpg

So, yes, some large river pebbles and some stumps/driftwoods.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430009603.887368.jpg

The position is temporary since one of the woods is a semi floater.

Looking great, even if it is temporary. Still think it's funny how small the O's look in there

A different option on the right hand side, and etter lighting on the oscars.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430015209.561506.jpg

The ultimate proof that I am offering good consitions to them is if they end up breeding (assuming I got lucky enough to have a male/female set).

I would rather have a "high quality", naturally selected specimen (even if it is from Florida) than these "pet" ones, but sure: to answer your question, yes I wouldn't mind getting a few dozens as a result of these two working things up to that level.

Back
Top Bottom