Oscar tank update! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishBoy185

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So in the past month I was talking all about oscars, now that I actually have my own is great, as some of you know I bought my baby O about 3 maybe 4 weeks ago. He doing great he hasnt grown much though like I though he would. But other than that hes doing great in his 75 gallon tank just to himself. I bought a sunsun canister filter (since im on a budget) and it keeps the water clean and clear like I hoped it would. I also have 2 tetra whisper ex 70's on the tank as well wich also helps. Since I hadnt seen him grow much ive bumped his feeding up to twice a day feeding him tetra cichlid pellets and tetra cichlid flakes which both enhances his colors and is a growth formula. I couldnt post any pics since he moves too fast for the camera. But I could post a pic of his tank. Hope you guys like it.

Attachments

• 20130915_174636.jpg
    20130915_174636.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 20130817_163211.jpg
    20130817_163211.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 82
What are the benifits and differences from what im feeding him now? And I do 2 25% PWC a week

Is your tank cycled? How big is the little o? If its under 4 inches it should be feed several feedings a day. I always feed by baby O's up to 6 times a day when under 4 inches.

Is your tank cycled? How big is the little o? If its under 4 inches it should be feed several feedings a day. I always feed by baby O's up to 6 times a day when under 4 inches.

I would stick to twice a day about 12 hrs. apart. I use NLS too. Tetra brand uses a lot of wheat product and not the good parts of the fish in their food, probably lower protein too. It won't take long for him to get bigger. Mine was tiny when I bought him around the first of July and he's around 3 in. now. I have a sunsun on my 75g, I like it.

img_2654485_0_49fab03ce6efe5eeaeb25e6d26ef7055.jpg

You need to get a good quality food. Lots of large water changes and smaller more frequent feedings is better for the o until it reaches 4 inches. It should grow 1 inch a month. Also feed shelled peas as well that will help the keep the digestive system clean and healthy. Add earth worm, cricket, grasshoppers and such in as treats and it will put on size nicely. My new o grew around an inch and a half in 3-4 weeks.

You need to get a good quality food. Lots of large water changes and smaller more frequent feedings is better for the o until it reaches 4 inches. It should grow 1 inch a month. Also feed shelled peas as well that will help the keep the digestive system clean and healthy. Add earth worm, cricket, grasshoppers and such in as treats and it will put on size nicely. My new o grew around an inch and a half in 3-4 weeks.

X2 everyhtning

X3 I do the same with my flowerhorn babies. Definitely go with hikari or new life spectrum, u will see a major difference. Also I do a large water change once a week instead of a lot of small ones. On my fry I do 2 complete water changes a week and it makes an unreal difference on they're size. Another thing and oscars may be different but I always have some sort of active tank mate with my fish so they can show dominance, it helps on my flowerhorns so it may be the same for an Oscar. Just make sure it's not gonna beat him up lol. I use a small peacock cichlid becouse they're fast and not very aggressive.

Omega one is better than Hikari. NLS is the best. I feed Hikari and Omega one to my oscars. Along with frozen beef heart, frozen blood worms (and freeze dried) brine shrimp as well.

Back
Top Bottom