Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oscar Type?

Okay, There is a very long story behind this, but I'll try to keep it short :p

There is this Oscar at a local owned pet store, her name is Peaches and she is 3 years old. They recently acquired her because her previous owner's tank had a bad leak, and they needed to get Peaches a safe place fast. They couldn't afford a whole new tank, so they just let the pet store put her up for sale (she hasn't been there very long yet).

As soon as I saw Peaches, I fell in love. To all my fellow crazy fish pals out there- you know what I mean when you just can't stop going back to look at a fish? Well Peaches did this for me. Minus the fact that she is bright orange and about 7-8 inches long x'D

Sooooo... My tank is set up and I'm getting Peaches on Sunday (they really need her out by Tuesday). There is even a little sign on her tank with my name, I'm really excited! She is full of playful personality and even had "pet" guppies in her original tank because she won't eat feeder fish. She just plays with them xD I love it.

I wanted to know what specific type of Oscar she was. I've attached a picture to this thread I looked up a little myself and it seems like in between an Albino Red Oscar or Lutino Red, probably a lutino?

Any help would be awesome!
Probably going to post a thread later about her, her setup, and updates when I get her this is my first Cichlid.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There's no picture. Just curious how big is the tank your gonna put her in?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakepen View Post
There's no picture. Just curious how big is the tank your gonna put her in?
Ahaha sorry forgot! And it's a 55 for now, probably going to upgrade for her later
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-100527527.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	181486  
Old 06-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #4

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

He/she is lutino, the eyes give it away since they're not white. Oscars are also monomorphic which means there are no visual differences from males to females, so Peaches may be a boy!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well she is big..!! And pretty... Congrats.!!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
He/she is lutino, the eyes give it away since they're not white. Oscars are also monomorphic which means there are no visual differences from males to females, so Peaches may be a boy!
Thanks! I thought, but wasn't quite sure And they know Peaches is a girl because she has laid eggs before.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNoobxX View Post
Well she is big..!! And pretty... Congrats.!!
Thanks, I'm really excited I think she's going to be a great new addition to the family I'm going to give her a Pleco buddy later on after things settle.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #8

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
Thanks! I thought, but wasn't quite sure And they know Peaches is a girl because she has laid eggs before.
That's a good way to sex them, she's a great looking fish. Just keep up the water changes and feed a high quality pellet food and she'll be around a long time! They are prone to head and lateral line erosion which is why I mentioned the water conditions, nitrates must be kept under 20ppm. Post some pictures when you bring her home too!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post

That's a good way to sex them, she's a great looking fish. Just keep up the water changes and feed a high quality pellet food and she'll be around a long time! They are prone to head and lateral line erosion which is why I mentioned the water conditions, nitrates must be kept under 20ppm. Post some pictures when you bring her home too!
Definitely! I've already got the master test kit out too to keep a watch on things ;D
Old 06-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oops! Sorry guys! The tank is a 44 gallon, I got confused. I didn't like the 55 because she was in one at the pet store, but it was too narrow for her so I went for this instead. I know it's a little smaller in capacity (I find water changes fun believe it or not), but the shape is much better for her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-348022732.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	181522  

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com