Oscar will not eat anything!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henrysdad

Aquarium Advice Regular
I rescued an oscar as some of you fish nuts know(henry) he won't eat anything at all? He's active as always the water is well within parameters nothing has changed in the tank... help?! It started a few days ago he seemed to be picky wouldn't eat pellets or krill but meal worms and crickets he would eat a little..but now nothing

Sent from my LGMS345 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well that's bot good. How does he look physically? Color? Shape? Finnage. Is his stomach sunken. Anything hanging out of his bum? Has he been pooping normally for intake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

He has been slowly rubbing his body on the gravel and tries to go completely upside down to do the same to his head?

Sent from my LGMS345 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1477422864058.jpg
    1477422864058.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 68
Have you been testing the water? How often you wc'ing

Need to change more water man, plain and simple, that guy is a waste machine. You should be doing 2-50% a week. If he's flashing and scratching than his gills may be irritated. Try a couple larger water changes. I'm not just preaching wcs. It needs to be done for these fish.

another thought try enticing him with a few gold fish

I don't think that's the best course of action in the given scenario. Like go to the store and buy some disease laiden feeders??

somehow I missed this but
I do agree if he is flashing larger water change could help the remedy , ammonia will burn out his gills fast , this could be the main reason he stopped eating but now it's up to you to get him eating again . get better Henry

images

food chain

Last edited:
without causing debate if all else fails go back to it's natural feeding habits, feeding feeder fish / shrimp ect sometimes are a last resort . just like people getting bored fish do too.

images

Debate you say?? Crustaceans, worms,bugs, bubble gum.. they eat whatever gets into their mouth with the least amount of effort. Chasing fish takes the most effort.

I had an Oscar that refused to eat anything besides garden snails. And I offered many options. He did not subscribe to the whole variety idea. He liked consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nightcrawler worms are good food. My Oscars loved them. Possibly easy to catch in your backyard depending on where you live. De-poop the worms first.
"Feeder fish" are all bad news like Brooks said.

I don't really know anything about Oscar's but could the scratching and flashing be parasites?

Back
Top Bottom