Oscars???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbaygurl78745

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all. I inharited a 55g long tank with a Oscar that's like 4 inches a bull dog Pleco n a jack Dempsey that's like 3 inches now I do know I will need set up the 150 for them but will they be ok in the 55g long for another month till I get moved n the new tank cycled?

Yes they should be fine for a few months or so. The oscar will grow up to a inch per month and will quickly outgrow the JD in terms of size and rate.

Last edited:
Will they be suitable tank mates when they get bigger?

Generally they'll be fine together provided a large enough tank, a 125g & up would be preferred. But there is always the chance for a hyper-aggressive fish that like some people just can't play well with others.

I'm getting the 150 set up this coming Friday. And let it cycle for a mon or 2. Do you think once the 150 is cycled and ready that I could get another Oscar ( i really like the white ones) and also another jack?

I'd stick with two large fish, if you want another oscar I'd ditch the JD. Then you could have a supporting cast like a plec and a couple of smaller fish like firemouths or convicts.

Ok that sounds great. Would the jack be able to live by him self in the 55 or would that get to small for him. If so I'll see if the pet store will do a trade

I think a jack would be fine in a 55 by himself but I'd get a second opinion, I only keep Africans. Just be sure to have extra filtration and water changes and he'll probably be perfectly fine. Jacks are pretty cool fish.

Yes the jack will just fine for life in a 55g. Good luck and don't forget to add some pictures when you get the 150g set up. Here is picture of my breeding pair of oscars in a 150.

Attachments

• image-50802145.jpg
    image-50802145.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 126
HUKIT said:
Yes the jack will just fine for life in a 55g. Good luck and don't forget to add some pictures when you get the 150g set up. Here is picture of my breeding pair of oscars in a 150.

Those guys are cool, I always liked oscars but don't have the room. :)

(is that a clown loach I see in the corner?)

Wow they are beautiful oscars I will post pics as soon as I get it going thank u for all the advise I think I'm gunna leave jack in the 55 and get a white tiger Oscar to match the tiger Oscar :)

I went and bought a API test kit and the results are saying my water is a lot better than what the dip strips where reading. Is that normal? Also where can I get more test tubes? And lastly is a blue light ok for fish? Tropical n the Oscars ?

I went and bought a API test kit and the results are saying my water is a lot better than what the dip strips where reading. Is that normal? Yes that is normal, test strips are terribly inaccurate.

Also where can I get more test tubes? And lastly is a blue light ok for fish? Tropical n the Oscars ? Lights are more for us than the fish, so just pick whichever looks good to you.

Answers in red.

Ok thank you. I just wasn't sure if the lighting effected them at all. Does any one know where I can get extra test tubes

Try looking online. Also if you buy just an ammonia test or just one of the other tests it comes with more tubes.

Out of curiosity would an oscar be ok in a 60 gallon environment for his entire life?

bettaowner said:
Out of curiosity would an oscar be ok in a 60 gallon environment for his entire life?

It would definatly be frowned upon, Wouldnt sugest it but people do it. Try to get at least a 75

Back
Top Bottom