Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karatepig

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone! I've juggled many different tank ideas, including planted communities and even an mbuna setup, but now I've found that I don't have as much money as I wanted to for this project and now I have decided that I want to get an oscar for my 55g. I know many people say that 75g is the minimum for oscars but I can upgrade in the future. So, I've got some questions.

1.) Something that I'm worried about is how to aquascape the tank. I have a lot of flat rock (almost like slate) and a big ol' piece of driftwood that is 20"-22" long. I was thinking about putting some of both in the tank but I was also considering just putting just the rock in there because the driftwood looks pretty snazzy in my 20g.

2a.) I was thinking about what fish I could put with the oscar before he hits the 5"-6" mark. I don't know what I could keep with him but I was thinking some sort of synodontis or pictus cat. I really like the synodontis eupterus cat. I have a 15x water turnover (850 gph - is this too high? I can always drop 400 gph and leave myself with around 8x water turnover).
2b.) I have a common pleco (yes I know, he will outgrow my tank) that will probably be going in there. Again, I have a 15x water turnover (850 gph) and I was thinking that that should work out fine.

3.) My final question is, will my 5mm gravel work in the tank? I know most cichlids prefer sand but I already have 50 lbs of awesome looking gravel and I spent $35 on it. I don't want to not use it.

Thanks in advance! -Karate

I have my Oscar in a 55g he's Just fine. I believe your gravel is fine I have gravel in mine as well. I have flat rock and bunch of other nice looking rocks I don't have drift wood but that's something you'd have to decide if you like or not. Fish to put with hi green terrors I had with him and firemouths. They can be aggressive but I had have no problems. I also have a Pleco he's just fine as well. The water turn over I'm honestly not sure about but I hope I've help.

Your rock work, gravel and driftwood will be fine. No tank mates, he will hit that 5-6 inch mark in a few months so it's not worth the time to just rehome fish in a couple months. Especially no common pleco. A small oscar has a bigger bioload than you think as well as the pleco. Your tank is just too small to start adding anything but the single oscar. Unless your going to upgrade to over 100 gallons in the next couple months for the pleco and oscar, don't put them together or get any other fish. Your filtration turnover is good. The more the better. Do 50% water change a couple times a week with the oscar in that tank and he will fill it soon enough and you will need a bigger tank just for him.

Oscar for a 55 is good. Wouldn't suggest putting the pitcus cat in there as they do have sharp fins. AS a experienced oscar owner I've found that out first handed when I put a 4 inch pleco with my 6 inch oscar and the next morning it was chocking on It cas the spines got stuck in his mouth. He ends up being fine but don't want that to happen to u. The gravel is OK mine ate a couple pieces but all in all it should be fine. Oscars produce a heck load amount of waste so I would suggest 40 percent water changes evey week

The only issue I have with keeping a green terror, firemouth, or jack dempsey or something is where I would rehome them. Thanks for the advice.

Edit (more posts were made): Okay, thank you for the suggestions.

What about a green terror? If I had just a green terror in the tank could I keep some sort of tank mate? Maybe a bristlenose or clown pleco with it?

If u decide against the oscar I would personally go with a flower horn or jack Dempsey. Then u could have some sort of tank mate with them. Maybe a bichir would look nice I love mine

What about a green terror? If I had just a green terror in the tank could I keep some sort of tank mate? Maybe a bristlenose or clown pleco with it?

Green terror gets as big. But they grow slower. Flowerhorns get as big as well, and like to kill most tankmates which is why you see them alone. You'll love just one oscar in that tank. They really do earn the name "water dog" well. Of you want more tankmates get smaller cichlids. A pair of firemouths or convicts do well in that size tank. You could have a BN pleco as well then. My votes for the firemouth pair, firemouths are awesome. Get 5 or 6 and let 2 pair off then rehome the rest. I'm raising a batch of Honduran Red Point fry right now so I can have some smaller cichlids in a smaller tank

Dempsey are very aggressive the reason why they are called a jack Dempsey. Jack Dempsey was a boxer. I've had all and never had a problem with any of them I still have a green terror with Oscar and they get alone fine. Although the Oscar does get big very fast as it seems to me.

Dempsey are very aggressive the reason why they are called a jack Dempsey. Jack Dempsey was a boxer. I've had all and never had a problem with any of them I still have a green terror with Oscar and they get alone fine. Although the Oscar does get big very fast as it seems to me.

Oscars get huge super fast. I got mine 3 inches big 5 months ago and now he's a foot long and very aggressive

Oscars get huge super fast. I got mine 3 inches big 5 months ago and now he's a foot long and very aggressive
Same here but mine isn't aggressive at all. My Dempsey was extremely aggressive I gave him away never attacked any one but would chase them away. I say a green terror because they seem to stay at the bottom or hiding while the Oscar is out and about

I think you'd enjoy an Oscar a lot once they are comfortable with you they will eat out of ur hand

I've also had pike cichlids with my Oscar which are very aggressive they hung out together lol. I don't recommend a pike tho they are very picky eaters I could not get him of live food for a very long time I hated feeding it to him because I know the danger of it

I have an 80g and my filtration is minimum 80-140 between to filtration systems I have two tiger oscars two Africans and two plecos one is 10inches and I have no problems with nitrate or ph or ammonia water is crystal clear like tap water

I have an 80g and my filtration is minimum 80-140 between to filtration systems I have two tiger oscars two Africans and two plecos one is 10inches and I have no problems with nitrate or ph or ammonia water is crystal clear like tap water

Clear water doesn't mean it is good. In that small tank you are going to have water issues eventually. The fish must be very small right now. By the time they are half grown you will need to do 50-75% water changes every 2-3 days to keep the nitrates under 20 ppm. And once they are full grown you will need to do it every day. No way around it. 2 oscars and 2 plecos in water volume that is only big enough for one oscar or one pleco is gonna be a huge bio load that is going to be hard to deal with to not let the fish suffer. Your filtration is also lacking.

Back
Top Bottom