Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aimeeo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 4 tanks already, but am purchasing a new one and considering trying Oscars. I've got a few questions though.
How many could you put in a 100 gallon?
How many should you keep together?
Any good tankmates?

Thanks

I would say you can keep two in that 100 gallon tank with a nice Pleco.
Oscars reach up to 12+ inches and are very messy fish as far as eating and waste.
So you want to make sure you have plenty of filtration on this tank.
The rule is to turn your tank water over at least 10x per hour but I like to shot for a little more if possible and make sure you do your 20-30% water changes every week.

You can keep as many together as you have room for.
I have 4 in a 180 gallon tank and all is well.

Sometimes a Jack Dempsey will make a good tank mate for an Oscar.
I have had some that get along with oscars and some that are way to aggressive with an Oscar.
If you try it just keep a close eye on them.

I hope this has answered your questions.
If you have any more feel free to ask.
:D

What about a clown knife? I have one in one of my tanks now, and I was wanting to get him into a different tank. I worry that he might get too aggresive for the fish that he is with now.

Im not sure how a clown knife would work with oscars.
I've never tried it myself.
You can always give it a try and see how it goes.
Just keep a close eye on the tank.

If you try it let me know how it works out.

I'd rather see if anyone else has tried it first. I'm rather attached to my knife, so I don't want anything to happen to him :wink:

be careful with 2 oscars. add them at the same time, as juveniles. they are smart fish, and would likely learn to share a tank that size....but then again they can be wickedly aggressive, and after a long time, one of them might attack the other.

My advice, it to train them to be hand fed. They'll learn it easily, and feeding is when they are most aggressive. If you can hand feed each one with each hand at the same time, they should be calmer, and you'd end up with less wasted food at the bottom of the tank.

As for ghost knife...never had one, can't offer any advice.

I understand that. My mom has an oscar and every time I go to her house, feeding him is the first thing I want to do. Watching him jump out of the water and take the food is so cool.

Oh, and I have a clown knife, not a ghost.

Okay, so what should you feed oscars? I read that they need variety, but not to feed them goldfish because it can cause hole in the head. What other live foods can you feed them. What about frozen or dried?

For live foods you can feed crickets and earthworms.
Frozen you can use beefheart, plankton and daphnia to name a few.
I also use dried bloodworms.
HTH :)

Thanks so much. As for the earthworms, can you just buy the ones for fishing and rinse them off? Should you cut them up before you feed them to the oscar?

Yeah, get the worms at a bait store, and I would cut them up a little...really depends on the size of the oscar. Until he's 4-5" you should probably stick to smaller foods just to prevent over feeding, as oscars are aquatic pigs.

I would have to agree with oscarbreeder. Only put two oscars in that tank. Even though your pushing it a bit in terms of water quality, you should be safe with two and maybe, just maybe a pleco. It is sometimes hard to find good tank mates for oscars, I can't think of any off the top of my head, but as long as they are the same size as the oscar and won't bully the oscar they should be good. A good addition if you only are going to only one oscar are silver dollars.

Tanksize vs # of O's:
Minimum recommendations are 55gals for one fish with atleast 25gals for each additional O, or similar sized tankmate. (minimum is keyword)
And filtration cannot be overdone!!! Particularly biological and mechanical filtration.

Tankmates:
All tankmates will will depend on individual compatibility between the O and the tankmate. Some good (though sometimes debateable) tankmates are, Plecs, Silver Dollars, Tinfoil Barbs, Filament Barbs, Pictus Cat's, Kuhli loaches, Bala sharks and various members of the Cichlid family. With other Cichlids care must be taken as alot are generally more aggressive/territorial than most O's.
Generally as long as the other fish doesn't fit (in any way) in the O's mouth and won't take smack off a feisty O or abuse the O, then they should be OK tankmates.

Diet:
A varied diet is a must with O's, and I suggest soaking pellets in a liquid vitamin supplements too.
A quality pellet food as the mainstay, live or freezedried earthworms/crickets, Krill, carnivore sticks and other asst'd cichlid foods,
beefheart (be conservative with fatty foods) and just about any insect you can catch your O will glady eat. O's will often even consume veggies, mine loves to eat my Plec's algae wafers, nibbles on his sweet potatoe's and spinach.

Back
Top Bottom