Oscars and snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inquisitor

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anyone keep snails with their Oscar fish? I have five snails in with mine, he occasionally tries to eat an antennae, but is unsuccessful. He seems uninterested in the shells. I'd say he ignores them at least 95% of the time, probably more. Thus far none are big enough to fit in his mouth except one. I've seen video of oscar's picking up snails and spitting them back out. I just don't want him trying to swallow one. Anyone had experience with snails and Oscars? Do you think I should remove them before he gets big enough to try and swallow one, or do you think Oscars's are smart enough to not eat them. I personally think it's the later, I've seen him think about them and peck at the shell, but he always seems disappointed if that makes sense. I've heard of other cichlids dying from eating snails, but I'm hoping the Oscar is smarter. Any advice from those with experience is greatly appreciated. I'm really hoping I can leave my snails since they are the only tank mates he tolerates. Thanks! :)

As a former Oscar owner I would say keep a close eye on them. I never had snails with mine but if they are constantly harassed they won't be healthy. What kind of snails? Are you able to get food to the snails without the Oscar steeling it?

Fair warning: When/ if your Oscars get big enough to swallow the shells, the snails will be gone. :eek: Make sure your snails are disease free or they will pass whatever they are carrying to the Oscars. I fed my breeders ramshorns I was raising for fry tanks. They LOVED them. :) :whistle:

They are mystery snails. I've been keeping a pretty close eye on them. I've had them in there with him for a month or two. One is finally getting close to where it could be eaten, but so far it's been ignored. I'll be bummed if he eats them, but my primary concern is just making sure it doesn't hurt him or get stuck in his throat. I may move them to my son's tank. I've just heard some people's oscars ignore them, but I don't think I'll be that lucky. My guy is pretty aggressive.

Thanks for the replies!

Oh yeah, as far as food for the snails my oscar ignores the algae tabs I drop in, but I rarely put them in. They've been surviving just from algae and the bits of food that the oscar spits out. They've been growing steadily, except for one that I think might be a nerite instead of a mystery.

Back
Top Bottom