other fish in dwarf cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pilgrim

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok, I know I have till after christmas break, and then another month to let the 20 gal tank cycle, but I am of course thinking of what to stock it with already. I am pretty sure I want a pair or trio of dwarf cichlids. I would like them to raise fry, but that limits any other species I can put in the tank. Would a dwarf puffer or two be safe to keep with cichlid fry. The bottom of the tank would be heavily planted. I have my doubts from what I have read. Anyway, does anyone know if this is possible or is there anouther species that will not eat very many fry is my dwarfs breed? thanks

I would avoid the dwarf puffers if you are serious about breeding dwarf cichlids. You could get some algae eaters like otos or a rubber-lipped pleco.

I forgot to mention earlier that pygmy cories could also be possible tankmates. I keep some with apistos and an oto.

If you can find pygmy corys, I second the suggestion from gheitman. They are great fish and stay very small, and they would never bother dwarf cichlids. Otos are great too. :D

Back
Top Bottom