Ovatus also Protomelas spilonotus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PAwrangler08

Aquarium Advice Freak
So today I was at That Fish Place. I saw, what was labelled as, an Ovatus. Unfortunately I didn't think to get the scientific name of him. He was blue and had some yellow in him. Pretty large as he was, around 8inches. He was alone in his tank. I think he was absolutely beautiful. He looked pretty much like this guy,

image-2875106075.jpg

So I am very interested in getting one of these, so I did so erase arch and I keep running in circles. Some say its Ovatus unk scientific name. Others say its Protomelas spilonotus aka Mala Rock. If anyone is able to help me I would greatly appreciate it. I would love to get a male and female. From what I have read about Protomelas spilonotus they grow to about 12" and female is like a brown color. They will be going into a 120gal community tank.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

I agree, from everything I'm reading "ovatus" is an outdated name for protomelas spilonotus

I agree, from everything I'm reading "ovatus" is an outdated name for protomelas spilonotus

Yea and I'm not able to find much information on them. Only thing I can find is they get along with other fish get 10-12 inches long and spawn easily. I was hoping I could find someone on here that has some and can give me more info on them.

Yea and I'm not able to find much information on them. Only thing I can find is they get along with other fish get 10-12 inches long and spawn easily. I was hoping I could find someone on here that has some and can give me more info on them.

Mogoraku is knowledgable in Malawian haps, I would try him

Back
Top Bottom