Over stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fro280

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've read and heard people say that overstocking is a way to combat aggression. What I'm wondering is, has anyone here used that practice and done it succesfully? Secondly, what is a good overstock number for a 56 gallon?

I am wondering the same thing about overstocking my 90 gallon. I'm concerned that I will have poor water quality with overstocking?

I overstock and it has been very successful. As far as how many in a 56 I think others can better answer. I have close to 40 in my 90 gallon. It is still important to have a good stock with compatible fish and filtration is very important. Overstock = over filtration.

And you need a good ratio of males and females, 1 male - 4 or 5 females. No matter how much you overstock if you only have one male and one female of a certain species, that female will be constantly chased and pursued.

The theory behind overstocking is to spread out aggression so one fish can't be targeted. There will always be aggression, these are aggressive fish. But if there are 8 red zebras for instance, chances are the same red zebra will not constantly take the brunt of aggression.

Another important aspect when it comes to aggression is territory, have PLENTY of hiding places, caves etc.

Hope this helps.

...what is a good overstock number for a 56 gallon?

If several factors are in place (lots of rock-scaping or breaks in line of sight, proper gender ratio's, etc) one doesn't have to overstock. 8-12 residents will probably work.

However, depending on the species, hyper-dominant issues or the individual 'aspirations' of the mbuna's overstocking may be required, etc, in which case your overstocked group in a 56gal could number 18-24.

I have a 55 and I'm trying to work my way up to the same goal. I'm planning tohave twice the "mfg-recommended filtration." Just keep in mind that the end product of the Nitrogen cycle is Nitrates, which have to be kept in check via PWCs. Standard filters do not reduce Nitrates.

If several factors are in place (lots of rock-scaping or breaks in line of sight, proper gender ratio's, etc) one doesn't have to overstock. 8-12 residents will probably work.

Wishhhhh!! MORE people gave out this advice, i agree totally(y). The amount of arguments ive had with people who are adamant that overstocking is the only way. Most people always assume overstocking is the only way and the best way. You can overstock yes, but i think its only fair to overstock these fish in 180G+ set-up's so that each fish still has adequate space and not crammed in smaller tanks like sardines in a tin.

In a 56G 10-15 would work pefectly fine, with the right species.(y)

Yes, agree. I currently have 13 Mbunas(mostly juveniles ~2") in my 55 and so far so good. I am lucky to have well mannered fish; one of my yellow labs and one of my red zebras are loners.

I'm also in the same boat meaning I have a 55 gallon tank with African cichlids ( mostly mbunas ) I currently have 16 cichlids in total and two bristlenose cat fish, I have 5 different cichlid species in the tank, I just have a question regarding breeding. Most of them are still juvenile so it's hard to tell their gender yet but will they still breed?

I have a 55g with 30 Malawi and they have been great for the last year but ive also taken other measures like a rena xp3 that is made for a 175g and lots of rocks

xfactor6699 said:
I have a 55g with 30 Malawi and they have been great for the last year but ive also taken other measures like a rena xp3 that is made for a 175g and lots of rocks

You should post a pic in the "Lets see those 55 gallon tanks..." thread.

Another thing that helps, when you're adding new fish to get your stock up to the amount you want, change around the decor. It throws the established fish off because you've rearranged their territories.

I tweak mine every water change since I never know when I'm going to find a few more to add. (plus it's just fun to watch them look around for their cave)

I've read and heard people say that overstocking is a way to combat aggression. What I'm wondering is, has anyone here used that practice and done it succesfully? Secondly, what is a good overstock number for a 56 gallon?

What type of fish are you talking about overstocking? It seems to be a common practice for African Rift Lake cichlids, but it doesn't translate well to New World cichlids, where the aggression and bioloads are off the charts.

Also, be sure think about how this will affect your water parameters. You may be able to curb aggression levels and keep a successful tank, but your maintenance schedule will need to be adjusted.

DragonFish71 said:
Another thing that helps, when you're adding new fish to get your stock up to the amount you want, change around the decor. It throws the established fish off because you've rearranged their territories.

I tweak mine every water change since I never know when I'm going to find a few more to add. (plus it's just fun to watch them look around for their cave)

I do that, too; mainly because it give me an excuse to spend more time on the tank, but also to give the tank a fresh look. Although a couple of mine are getting wise to me, and stay in their hiding spot even while I move it. My EB Hap Ahli and Syn. Eupterus will stay in their nitche unless I actually remove it entirely from the tank (yes, i know those two are not Mbuna).

If this is the 56 column tank, I would not recommend it for Mbuna at all personally- I believe the footprint is only 30x18 or similar. If it's a long tank, like a standard 55, then I agree with most of the other comments. :)

Back
Top Bottom