Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Overkill? (heater)

I have a 75gallon in the living room and right now I have a AP 250 and it seems to be working overtime due to the fact that I have no glass tops. Just the wooden canopy to match the stand. I was gonna go with this heater at 250 watts. Maybe it would help keep the temp more stable? And I'm worried about the summer with the AC's cranked on those 90+ days.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...6&pcatid=23726

Would it be ok to run this heater?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
I have a 75gallon in the living room and right now I have a AP 250 and it seems to be working overtime due to the fact that I have no glass tops. Just the wooden canopy to match the stand. I was gonna go with this heater at 250 watts. Maybe it would help keep the temp more stable? And I'm worried about the summer with the AC's cranked on those 90+ days.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...6&pcatid=23726

Would it be ok to run this heater?
It's not overkill but how about 2 150w heaters. That way in case something were to ever happen and the heater goes nuts you can't fry your fish, the water temp would just slowly drop.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

And also, don't order from that site, they are a rip off on their pricing. I like petmountain, amorepets, or amazon.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:33 AM   #4
come get me tang police!

Jagers are good heaters, and I agree, go with another source. A great source for heaters is Kens Fish - Home of quality tropical fish food and supplies, while you are there get some bulk fish food and other odds and ends, he has some of the best prices.

It's not a big deal to have a heater that is overpowered for the tank it's in, that's why it has a thermostat feature. As mentioned, 2 heaters is good in the event that one craps out, or if you just need a little more oomph to get the job done, but I've gone either way.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've had good luck with Ken's Fish as well. My fish love the food they sell!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks guys!! I went with two heater. One on each side. Hopefully that will help. I've noticed the ONE heater seemed to always be red, like it's working overtime to keep my tank at 78. So maybe 2 heater set at 78 will help? My concern is the summer with the AC's pumped. My wife is always hot. Me? I work in heat and I'm outside all the time in work pants, work boots and a long sleeve button down all fire retardant so... When I get home it's way cooler then at work. A ceiling fan does just fine for me.

Any thanks again. 2 heaters it is.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 03-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Let's be honest. When's the last time the fire chief actually put his suit on? That's like asking when's the last time a colonel got shot at in war.

Lol, glad you went with 2, much safer in the long run. Also enjoy being able to calibrate them.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malawi Freak
Let's be honest. When's the last time the fire chief actually put his suit on? That's like asking when's the last time a colonel got shot at in war.

Lol, glad you went with 2, much safer in the long run. Also enjoy being able to calibrate them.
Haha tough crowd!! I'll have to plead the 5th lol. I'm guessing calibration is going to somewhat of a chore huh?

Old 03-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not at all. As long as you have a good thermometer (I prefer digital). You set the red dial to what the tanks actual temp is then you set the blue dial to what you want. I think it's a wonderful feature and all heaters should have it.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malawi Freak
Not at all. As long as you have a good thermometer (I prefer digital). You set the red dial to what the tanks actual temp is then you set the blue dial to what you want. I think it's a wonderful feature and all heaters should have it.
Ok cool! Thanks.

Tags
eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com