Overkill? (heater)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 75gallon in the living room and right now I have a AP 250 and it seems to be working overtime due to the fact that I have no glass tops. Just the wooden canopy to match the stand. I was gonna go with this heater at 250 watts. Maybe it would help keep the temp more stable? And I'm worried about the summer with the AC's cranked on those 90+ days.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+23726&pcatid=23726

Would it be ok to run this heater?

Convict2161 said:
I have a 75gallon in the living room and right now I have a AP 250 and it seems to be working overtime due to the fact that I have no glass tops. Just the wooden canopy to match the stand. I was gonna go with this heater at 250 watts. Maybe it would help keep the temp more stable? And I'm worried about the summer with the AC's cranked on those 90+ days.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+23726&pcatid=23726

Would it be ok to run this heater?

It's not overkill but how about 2 150w heaters. That way in case something were to ever happen and the heater goes nuts you can't fry your fish, the water temp would just slowly drop.

And also, don't order from that site, they are a rip off on their pricing. I like petmountain, amorepets, or amazon.

Jagers are good heaters, and I agree, go with another source. A great source for heaters is Kens Fish - Home of quality tropical fish food and supplies, while you are there get some bulk fish food and other odds and ends, he has some of the best prices.

It's not a big deal to have a heater that is overpowered for the tank it's in, that's why it has a thermostat feature. As mentioned, 2 heaters is good in the event that one craps out, or if you just need a little more oomph to get the job done, but I've gone either way.

Thanks guys!! I went with two heater. One on each side. Hopefully that will help. I've noticed the ONE heater seemed to always be red, like it's working overtime to keep my tank at 78. So maybe 2 heater set at 78 will help? My concern is the summer with the AC's pumped. My wife is always hot. Me? I work in heat and I'm outside all the time in work pants, work boots and a long sleeve button down all fire retardant so... When I get home it's way cooler then at work. A ceiling fan does just fine for me.

Any thanks again. 2 heaters it is.

Let's be honest. When's the last time the fire chief actually put his suit on? That's like asking when's the last time a colonel got shot at in war.

Lol, glad you went with 2, much safer in the long run. Also enjoy being able to calibrate them.

Malawi Freak said:
Let's be honest. When's the last time the fire chief actually put his suit on? That's like asking when's the last time a colonel got shot at in war.

Lol, glad you went with 2, much safer in the long run. Also enjoy being able to calibrate them.

Haha tough crowd!! I'll have to plead the 5th lol. I'm guessing calibration is going to somewhat of a chore huh?

Not at all. As long as you have a good thermometer (I prefer digital). You set the red dial to what the tanks actual temp is then you set the blue dial to what you want. I think it's a wonderful feature and all heaters should have it.

Malawi Freak said:
Not at all. As long as you have a good thermometer (I prefer digital). You set the red dial to what the tanks actual temp is then you set the blue dial to what you want. I think it's a wonderful feature and all heaters should have it.

Ok cool! Thanks.

Ok I found a spare AP 250 so I have 2 in my tank now. Only weird thing is there both set for the same temp and the left side goes on and off but the right side stays green. What does that mean?if anything... Both set to about 78. Thermometers both on each side read same temp.

Malawi Freak said:
It's not overkill but how about 2 150w heaters. That way in case something were to ever happen and the heater goes nuts you can't fry your fish, the water temp would just slowly drop.

Agreed. Plus it distributes heat in the tank better.

boadams87 said:
Can you unplug the other one and see if it keeps the water at the temp!

I could try it. New had an issue until I went topless. I won't put the glass tops back on ever. Looks so much nicer and easier for cleaning and feeding. Plus the lights hit the water and not all that crap that gets on the glass. I'll try and unplug one. I could just be over cautious also just seemed that the 1 heater was red more then green. Working harder to keep the tank a nice 78. I also just purchased one o those digital thermometers it's a Pin Point one seemed to get good reviews. It's the wireless one.

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Misc-Aquarium-Monitors-Equipment/I/PINPOINT-Wireless-Thermometer.aspx

Convict2161 said:
I could try it. New had an issue until I went topless. I won't put the glass tops back on ever. Looks so much nicer and easier for cleaning and feeding. Plus the lights hit the water and not all that crap that gets on the glass. I'll try and unplug one. I could just be over cautious also just seemed that the 1 heater was red more then green. Working harder to keep the tank a nice 78. I also just purchased one o those digital thermometers it's a Pin Point one seemed to get good reviews. It's the wireless one.

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Misc-Aquarium-Monitors-Equipment/I/PINPOINT-Wireless-Thermometer.aspx

**** that's nice!!!

Haha thanks can't wait to get it. I can hook up my saltwater and fresh water to it and it has a 100 ft range. I love gadgets.

Here's a few pictures. You would think that would hold in the heat. In you look closely. The heater on the left is on while the heater to the right is off. It's been green for days while the left one goes on off, on off and that's the one rated to a 160 gallon tank and set at the same temp 78.

View attachment 83741

View attachment 83743

View attachment 83745

It has the wooden canopy and a HUGE light fixture.

This is what lights I'm running.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003I5QQCK

I could be just over thinking this whole thing. Thermometers in each side of tank read the same. Maybe I just never payed attention to the light? Could be...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom