Overstocked??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JB123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all!

A couple of weeks back I went to one of my LFS and got slightly carried away. i intended on buying some South/Central American cichlids and planned on getting three around the 5/6" size, however, there was limited stocking in the store. I'd done a fair bit of research and bought a male Sajica, as I wanted this fish anyway. I also bought a redneck/Rotkeil severum and a gold/blue eyed bristlenose pleco. I'd never seen the latter before and had to have one!!

I have a 170L/45 US Gal tank. Around 40" long and 16" wide. I already have a 4" bristlenose in there, and the sajica and severum are both 2.5/3" long. The golden bristlenose is growing out in a smaller tank.

Is this stocking level ok for my tank? I've read in a few places that a 45 gal is the minimum but sufficient for rotkeil severum, which max out around 8". With the other three fish, will this still be ok?

Thank you in advance!

If you aren't getting aggression or uncontrollable water quality issues then I'd say it would work. My suggestion would be to bump up filtration and do 50% weekly water changes. Also, plants and decor should be added to break line of sight and give them territories.

You may have gotten a little carried away...but we all do sometimes. My concern would be when your new fish gain a little more size, will your filtration be able to handle the bio load. You might want to try adding more filtration now in order to keep things manageable later. Just a thought. Good luck and enjoy your new fish.

Back
Top Bottom