Overstocked? Stocking Ideas? 125g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeybabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi Guys, what you see in the pictures are the fish I currently have in my 125g cichlid tank...

Can you guys see any problems with these fish together and have any recommendations if there's room to add more? So far they all seem to be getting along fine, and it's been over a week now...

Filtration:
Eheim 2260 w/950gph pump
Aquaclear 110
300w inline heater
2x T5 10k bulb

I know a few of these fish will get big. any opinions are appreciated, thanks :)

Attachments

• myfish.jpg
    myfish.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 196
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 171
HUKIT said:
I would ditch the Borleyi and the Apollo shark and call it stocked.

Why is that? Is that based on all their current sizes now or long term? Can I enjoy them for awhile at their current size then re home them? Or is your decision based on compatibility? There seems to be enough swim space for them all right now... I believe they have awhile till they're full grown?

Thx

That's based on compatablity as far as diet, fish requirements like schooling, aggression levels, and long term size.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
That's based on compatablity as far as diet, fish requirements like schooling, aggression levels, and long term size.

Hmmm. Thanks. I never looked into these details... As far as diet, they all seem to be eating the jumbo fish pellets... Why do these 2 fish vary with their diets and what do they eat? As far as schooling, what are the negative effects that can happen if they aren't with schools? As far as aggression... I have not seen any aggression from the other fish towards the 2 fish you told me to take out... The most aggression ive seen is from the burleyli towards the smaller jack Dempsey and he just chases him now and then. Never really bites or anything... The shark seems to mind his business. And long term size isn't an issue since I'll be changing the stock from time to time... But I was hoping to get 6 months to a year out of these fish :(

Your specific diet is fine with what you feed, I would be more concerned with aggression levels than anything else. The Jacks are young and not nearing maturity yet so I would keep a close eye on your RD since he is matured.

Apollo's can be skittish when kept alone and feel more comfortable when kept with 4-5 other fish.

I'm sure you'll have no issues with that time period you mentioned but certainly keep a eye out for Bubba becoming dominant and putting the hurt on everyone else.

When I recommend stocking limits or species selection it's a general assumption of commom behaviors and aggression levels but that doesn't mean different things won't work, remember every fish of that nature has different behaviors and attitudes towards other fish. Take Spoonman's 240g for instance if someone with less experience asked about that I would tell them heck no will that work but having more experience in hobby and a large tank certainly helps.

Last edited:
And long term size isn't an issue since I'll be changing the stock from time to time... But I was hoping to get 6 months to a year out of these fish :(
Stocking plans are made around keeping fish long-term. These particular fish can live for a very long time, so planning with that in mind is essential.

How do you plan to change your stock from time to time? Rehoming? Adding tanks?

If you do stocking plans (size-wise) with a temporary situation in mind, then all kinds of stuff can work together (see pet store 20g with 30 oscars in it, for example), but the 'temporary' thing is an unknown, because who knows when you'll be able to move them, and who knows if they will get along the entire time. If you have other tanks to work with, might as well stock them properly to begin with and not have to worry about it later.

I don't know of what works/doesn't work with JD's, I keep mine i singles and pairs, nothing else in the tank.

I don't really understand the concept of keeping fish for short periods of time. I do it with some, but it's because I sell them. With the fish that I actually keep, I grow attached to them and don't think I'd stock anything that I didn't like enough to keep for its lifetime.

I understand where he's coming from since I get bored of my fish overtime as well and with over 2500 cichlids theres alot of choices. I'm like that little kid that always sees something new and shiney that I have to get but in the end I feel bad rehoming fish and that's one of the reasons I have so many tanks.

Mikey the RD is looking much better than before as well.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
Mikey the RD is looking much better than before as well.

thanks! You helped a lot when trying to break him into the NLS diet... It's been about 2 weeks since he's been only eating NLS now and his color has dramatically came back... At one point he was very white and faded and I felt bad for him...

Ever since he was transferred from the crammed 54 gallon corner and put in the 125 gallon his attitude is now 10x more mellow!! I can actually put my hands in the tank now without him going straight for my fingers lol. Although sometimes he will chase me out of his space. As far as him dominating the tank... I see exactly what you're saying. He has already claimed a very large spot in the corner and dug out a big cave lol. He's the most interesting fish to watch and I really hope I don't have to separate him in the long run so I'm hoping he doesn't become too much of a bully. The rest of the fish can escape and fend for themselves when they get chased by bubba...

Every single fish in the tank eats the 4.5 mm floating NLS pellets... I was surprised to see the convict and jewel cichlid gobble down such a large pellet... They are only around 2" right now lol they swim around with the pellet in their mouth sticking out and slowly bite it down till they can fit it in. It's funny to watch... The burleylis lip is healing a lot better now and the appollos ich is gone from when i treated them all in their last tank

I will def keep an eye and plan to post more pics and videos when I get a more concrete decorated tank layout.

Btw I got a 100% waterproof case for my iPhone so now I can take underwater videos of my aquariums haha it's fun stuff :)

Thanks for all the replies guys. Like hukit said... I like new shiny stuff and like to change it up. I have 7 tanks and plan to do a little breeding and do trades with fish stores etc...

:)

Back
Top Bottom