Overstocking a 55g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol max size of a jag, 18 INCHES. Dimensions of a 55g, 48 x TWELVE.

PS Dallas, be careful ;)

All I'm saying is that Live aquaria says 55 gallon is minimum so while it is not ideal it is doable. Also how do we know he doesn't plan on an upgrade and isn't just growing his fish out? You keep arapaimas in 125s, same situation. Max size: 4.5 meters 125: 6 feet long. honestly wouldn't condone what either of you are doing in terms of stocking. ;)

If haps and peacocks should never be overstocked then why do I see beautiful male show tanks always overstocked?

If haps and peacocks should never be overstocked then why do I see beautiful male show tanks always overstocked?

The question is how healthy and nurturing is the environment for the fish being constantly stressed with other fish packed in all around you with few or no places to find shelter. Not an ideal environment but as stated above it can be done.

Btw, MikeM u have a jag in a 55g, and a Midas in a 55g, and you're trying to tell me something about having 2 fronts in a 75? You're kidding right?

Not a jag. Texas jag hybrid maxed out at 10" and solo. The "X" in the signature means MIXED!
Midevil is 5" being moved to a 75 solo
Lyonsi is 5" being moved to a 75 solo
Fronts on the other hand reach 16" If you had 1 by its self I would not have said anything.

Whoa.

This tanks been active for 2 years, probably over 2 years. I've never had issues with aggression really aside from same species fish that were mainly tretacephalus and a couple calvus, even mixing malawi, victoria, and tanganyika. I've never had an ammonia/nitrite spike in the existence of the tank. It's filtered with Aquatop Canister filters. 25% every week, that's it. You can go months back to the last vid and see 0 fish loss, 0 problems, 0 disease. Matter of fact, here's a video from December 20th 2014 that shows the same identical fish population minus the female yellow lab I mentioned removing due to her not producing for me.

You can most DEFINITELY get away with haps and peacocks in a tank this size @ 4ft as long as you don't intend on keeping them in the tank into adulthood. And on that note, you can most DEFINITELY keep a few full grown haps and peacocks in a 75g for life with no problem, even mated pairs (as I have 3 seperate producing mated pairs in that tank with fry proof in the 25g videos). And also with multiple fronts, I've got a 3rd one in another tank also that will join them in the future. As a grow out, 75g will do u just great for haps/peacocks/tangs/mbuna. The 2 big male venustus, pheno, and front's are well on their way at around 5.5-6 inches a piece, most all the other fish at at least 3.5-4.5 inches. Which mainly all started as 2" fish minus a few I bought with a little more size later on in the tank.

You can try to say it doesn't work, but it's worked for me for years.

Maybe your next video should be a water test 6 days after your last PWC. Or an in depth vid about why people watching your YouTube shouldn't attempt to do what your doing as its irresponsible to keep species that hit that size in a 75. And those fish don't even have room to swim. If this were just an overstocked peacock/hap male tank (not this overstocked) you would be okay but there is more than that going on here, and you have breeding pairs? Geez that must be stressful for the fish.

Look your new here, so you get some slack but I wouldn't advise walking in like a know it all when your not following so many rules of responsible keeping. Were mainly some really friendly fish addicts and you will have a great time discussing here with us, but a friendlier approach will help a lot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nvm, I just watched a few of your videos and as much as you have going on I'm not going to try to tell you how to do anything. Lots of interesting fish there. Advise y'all watch his other videos as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom