P. Electra burrowing in sand!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I introduced a placidochromis electra into my 125 today. He's the biggest fish in the tank, but being chased around a lot, especially by my phenochilus. While being chased,he suddenly swam down and sideways and was hid or burrowed in the sand. He completely disappeared! Is this normal? Should i be worried about it?

I haven't seen it personally, Electra aren't know to be diggers. It's a sounds like a defensive tactic. Placidochromis all look very similar at smaller sizes and they are fairly aggressive with each other. It's typically not recommend to mix them.

I know my Phenos when I had them were fairly mild mannered then all of a sudden one would snap and go on a rampage.

Thanks Mog. Yeah I've only found one piece of literature online about it too, so its definitely not common. Right now I have him in a net, could I let him go and just let it play out? Could being the sand be unhealthy or anything?

I don't think being in the sand will hurt it any. I would let it out of the net and move around any rocks or decor. It's likely just a "turf war" since the fish was added to an established system.

After burrowing once more in the sand for a bit, the electra finally came out and established dominance. He's doin well and is actually a beautiful fish!

Awesome! How about pics of the Electra and pheno? Almost got one but decided not to mix w mbuna

Unfortunately, the electra really took over the tank and beat up the pheno today pretty badly. :/ poor guy is recovering in a quarantine. And i'll post one in my 125 gallon tank album because i ran out of space to post on here.

Back
Top Bottom