P. socolofi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slayer72

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone had experience with P. socolofi? I love the look of the fish, information on the web is all over the place. Can they cross breed with P. Crabro? I certainly don't want that.

They're supposed to be somewhat peaceful but I had to give mine away. Go figure it was beating in my other fish. Should be ok but you never know what might breed w what! Keeping groups of same fish helps prevent it from what I've seen but anything can happen!

Socolofi's aren't any more predispositioned to hybridize than any other mbuna species. As a monomorphic powder blue species there are few mbuna species that resemble them. Keeping them or the other mbuna's in breeding groups should deter most crossings.

On an 'aggression scale' of 1 to 5 (with 5 being the highest) I'd rate socolofi's as a solid 3.5. They're well equipped to dominate nearly any non-melanochromis or non-metriaclima species (or pseudotropheus species equal to or smaller than them in size), and the one's I had were on they're way to being flashy bullies if my zebra's didn't put them in check.

Socolofi's aren't any more predispositioned to hybridize than any other mbuna species. As a monomorphic powder blue species there are few mbuna species that resemble them. Keeping them or the other mbuna's in breeding groups should deter most crossings.

On an 'aggression scale' of 1 to 5 (with 5 being the highest) I'd rate socolofi's as a solid 3.5. They're well equipped to dominate nearly any non-melanochromis or non-metriaclima species (or pseudotropheus species equal to or smaller than them in size), and the one's I had were on they're way to being flashy bullies if my zebra's didn't put them in check.

Thanks kay- bee. I do have an auratus that is large but, not overly aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom