P. socolofi quarantine question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slayer72

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought this little guy a few days ago and put him in a 10 gallon quarantine tank. He's about 2 inches. I want to let him grow some before I put him in the big boy tank. My question is, how long could he stay in there without harming him? He needs some size so he can stick up for himself if the need arises. I have some pretty big mbuna.

ForumRunner_20130801_071934.jpg

I've had success adding smaller mbuna to my tank before but I always add more than one at a time so the new guy doesn't get singled out.

Good advice but, back to the question. How long should he be kept in the 10 gal?

I guess my answe to your questions is I would just add him. But if you insist on quarantine he should be fine in the ten for a few days.

it will be fine in there by it self for a while. just make sure to do your water changes and not to over feed it. as soon as u can upgrade its tank if possible. i used to breed thease and i kept the parents separated in 10 gallons during egg incubation in the females mouth. they are not fast growers so you will need to have space

it will be fine in there by it self for a while. just make sure to do your water changes and not to over feed it. as soon as u can upgrade its tank if possible. i used to breed thease and i kept the parents separated in 10 gallons during egg incubation in the females mouth. they are not fast growers so you will need to have space

Thanks Bob. I'm thinking maybe I'll leave him in there unroll around 3.5 inches. Then its time to be a man. Lol!

Yes thanks bob

All new fish should be in QT for at least 2 weeks IMO. While in QT they should be treated for any internal parasites, I use Anti-Protozian flakes by Angels plus and in extreme cases use a few rounds of Prazipro. The addition of a couple fish isn't worth the whole tank getting sick, its also allot cheaper and cost effective to treat a 10 gallon tank vs your main tank.

In answer to your question being in the 10 gallons for a few weeks will not hurt him.

All new fish should be in QT for at least 2 weeks IMO. While in QT they should be treated for any internal parasites, I use Anti-Protozian flakes by Angels plus and in extreme cases use a few rounds of Prazipro. The addition of a couple fish isn't worth the whole tank getting sick, its also allot cheaper and cost effective to treat a 10 gallon tank vs your main tank.

In answer to your question being in the 10 gallons for a few weeks will not hurt him.

Thanks Bro. I have read about quarantining fish before they go in the main tank and, it seemed like a good idea. Definitely don't need any BS in my tank. Another question: Do you think he will be singled out because he's albino?

Thanks Bro. I have read about quarantining fish before they go in the main tank and, it seemed like a good idea. Definitely don't need any BS in my tank. Another question: Do you think he will be singled out because he's albino?

I don't believe so, just introduce him at night with the lights off and leave them off for a day.

Back
Top Bottom