Pacu tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it possible to keep a red belly pacu from juvenile to full adulthood in a home aquarium. I've seen tank recommendations from 220 gallon to 1200 gallon. Has anyone tried one of these monsters and what do you think is realistic? I've also heard of them cracking glass with their skittish behavior.

For a fish that can reach 30" it needs a larger tank than I can provide, and 99.8% of other aquarist as well...maybe 99%!

Last edited:
Thats even bigger than u thought. Sounds like an open and close case of "no pacu". I can't believe they sell a fish like this at petsmart and other LFS, since as you said , almost no one is equipped to own one. Yet I need to special order BN. Where is the economics in that?

because they aren't interested in the long term wellbeing of the fish they are selling you. It makes great economic sense, as your fish becomes giant sized, if it doesn't die from new tank syndrome, then they can expect you to come get medications at some point, since having a large fish in a small tank just begs for water quality issues. And if all goes really well, then you'll be back to buy a larger tank.

I doubt they really look at it like that, but I think it's definitely a side 'benefit' that is going to keep them from taking them off the shelves anytime soon.

Is is supply and demand. People will buy arowanas, pacus, red tail catfish, adn even arapaima if they are in the LFS, even though they can't house them up to half their potential size. Even oscars are crammed into 55s. Pacus in particular are a great food fish. They grow faster than anything I have ever dealt with. When you are producing so many for food and can make more money by sending some to the aquarium hobby that will snatch them up (before feeding them to full size), it is a business.

Back
Top Bottom