Parasites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jandkmcdonald

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been trying reading up on fish diseases and I think my fish have symptoms of internal parasites. I have a fire mouth that has spasms, and a Texas and a jack that have been scraping themselves against objects in the tank. My pleco has been having long stringy fecies that float. Does this sound strange to anyone else? I have treated my tank with tablets but nothing changed.

Are the fish eating? The flashing has all sorts of reasons from PH swings to parasites, so a little more information such as water parameters is needed.

Last edited:
They are still eating well and look healthy I just don't know how to really tell if something is wrong and I am worried about my fish. Is there any other explanations for my fire mouth having spasms?

Nitrates 0ppm, nitrites 1 ppm, ammonia is 0 ppm

How are you testing? The nitrites should be zero and the nitrates should be registering. Is this newly set up tank?

I'd start doing some water changes and add in aquarium salt dosed at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons to help ease the nitrites effects on the fish.

I am testing with tetra 5 in 1 test strips and a nitrate test kit using drops. Also ammonia strips. Thank you for the help I will definitely get that salt.

I do about a 30% water change once a week. I just did a water change yesterday. Is that enough?

It's hard to tell if thats enough since the test strips are extremely inaccurate. Normally you perform enough water changes to keep the nitrates below 20ppm, which is why many including myself just do 50% per week to ensure those levels never reach any higher.

I would invest in a good aquarium water test kit such as the API liquid kit, it's accurate enough and it's inexpensive. This will give you a better idea what the true levels are and then base your water change schedule on that.

Maybe in the meantime you could bring a sample to a local fish store and have them test ot for you, at least as long as they don't use strips as well.

Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies

i had fire mouths for a while and they flash and shake a lot. with a varity of cichlids in there it could just be a dominance thing also. but its hard to tell . i grew up in springfield years ago. i left there in 1980. 30% is what i do weekly on my tanks and they are just fine

Also..is the ph at 8 kind of high for new worldsa cichlids?

Back
Top Bottom