Parrot fish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1997

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yesterday I bought a parrot fish from my LFS and it is refusing to come out of hiding now. Do I take out the log it's hiding In so that it swims around or leave the log in and wait till he comes out on his own?

Just wait till it comes out on its own. Fish need time to adjust, and removing the log will take away a safe spot and make it feel even less secure, which will cause stress and in the long run it could develop some stress-induced diseases. He'll come out soon, especially when he starts associating you with food!! :D

Just wait till it comes out on its own. Fish need time to adjust, and removing the log will take away a safe spot and make it feel even less secure, which will cause stress and in the long run it could develop some stress-induced diseases. He'll come out soon, especially when he starts associating you with food!! :D

Thanks cause he comes out of the log a little now then sees me and hides again

Yesterday I bought a parrot fish from my LFS and it is refusing to come out of hiding now. Do I take out the log it's hiding In so that it swims around or leave the log in and wait till he comes out on his own?

It's normal. Most fish take 2-3 days or sometimes longer to feel safe and secure in their new surroundings. Don't be suprised if it doesn't eat for the first few days either.

This is very normal. Blood parrots are typically very shy at first and I have heard of some taking close to a month to finally warm up.

This is very normal. Blood parrots are typically very shy at first and I have heard of some taking close to a month to finally warm up.

Wow he finally came out a little more today but as snow as he saw me he hide again

He was out just now on the opposite side of the tank exploring and as soon as I stood up off the couch he swam away :/

Had the EXACT same experience when I got my BP, about a year ago. He dug a hole in the gravel behind some driftwood and hid. He would come out a little, but if I moved or headed for the tank, he darted behind the driftwood. After 3 or 4 days of him not eating, I started getting worried, and here's what worked for me...at feeding time, I would stand in front of the tank, as still as possible, and I mean like a statue. After 2 or 3 minutes, he would poke his head out and stare at me....after a few minutes of staring, he would slowly creep out into the open area of the tank. I would then grab a pinch of food, and move my arm as slow as possible to the top of the tank to drop the food in. If my arm moved above a crawl, he would dart back to his hiding spot, and I would start the process over. If I could drop the food without spooking him, he wold eat. This went on for a few weeks, but every day got a little easier than the one before. Eventually he became like most fish, when I come to the tank, he goes to the top aggressively looking for food. Hope this helps.

Ya that's a good idea. You could even pull up a chair in front of the tank and sit there still for a little while a couple times a day. I did it with my gourami. Not sure how big of a difference it made though haha.

If you just got the parrot he is probably still acclimating to the tank. How big is your tank and what other fish are in there? Regardless though just leave the log in there because he/she is finding comfort in it and I suspect if all conditions are right he will get more active. I have a parrot fish that finds comfort hiding under a rock formation in my tank and I've had him for a year now. They are charismatic and feisty rolly pollies when they get comfortable.

If you just got the parrot he is probably still acclimating to the tank. How big is your tank and what other fish are in there? Regardless though just leave the log in there because he/she is finding comfort in it and I suspect if all conditions are right he will get more active. I have a parrot fish that finds comfort hiding under a rock formation in my tank and I've had him for a year now. They are charismatic and feisty rolly pollies when they get comfortable.

It's a 55 gallon tank with 7 serape tetras 3 tiger barbs 1 Celebese rainbownfish and 1 pictus catfish

Back
Top Bottom