Parrots and sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katfich

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings! I'm new to this forum and have tried to find answers to my exact questions in the threads, so apologies if these questions have been posted already. I currently use gravel in my 80 gallon, freshwater aquarium that hosts several large parrot cichlids, and a 13" pleco. I have a Fluval 405 canister filtration system. I would like to switch to sand as it looks nice, I hear that parrotfish like it, and it is a bit easier to clean. My questions are as follows:

1. Will my filtration system will have to do 'twice the work' it used to if I switch from my current gravel to sand? Will this filtration system be enough?
2. I know that sand can be expensive in a aquarium store, dependent on the type purchased. I've heard of a lot of different types of substrate that can be purchased elsewhere, including quickrete medium grit sand, Pool Filter sand, and 3m colorquartz (which has been discontinued but just might still be sitting around on a few shelves out there). Which sand would you recommend, and can anyone provide the name of the pool business that actually carries PF sand (without me having to order it?) Just don't want to make a mistake that might 'do in' my parrots.
3. Will my parrots actually like the sand as others have advised?

I live in Calgary, Alberta. Thanks for the help.

Welcome!!! I havent heard if parrots love sand, but i also dont know cuz my parrot has always had sand. That being said switching to sand can be nervous, but you have to keep some things in mind.

Im not sure i understand why you think your filter will be doing twice the work, but the impeller can be damaged but you just have to do some things to stop that. Wash your sand, wash your sand and wash your sand. If you wash sand good then you can eliminate the free particles of sand in the water that could be sucked into the intake. Also, whenever you do water changes and substrate vac's then turn off your filter, vac it, let it settle and then turn it back on. This will ensure your not sucking up any of those particles through the intake.

I use Sakrete Natural Play Sand and i love it. Its heavy enough not to be easily stirred but natural enough to look good and its only 3.50 a bag.

I use Sakrete Natural Play Sand and i love it. Its heavy enough not to be easily stirred but natural enough to look good and its only 3.50 a bag.

That is a great idea. I've been looking for some nice heavy sand. Where did you buy yours?

I checked the sakrete concrete website and could not find a dealer close to me. Can you buy it online?

Back
Top Bottom