Partial Water Changes - How Much and How Often

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The age old question: How frequently to do PWCs? And how much can be safely changed at once?

I have a 55 gallon (which actually holds closer to 49 gallons) and I change 7-9 gallons every week; sometimes twice per week. My profile will give more details on my tank.

I have read and have always thought that changing too much at a time could cycle the tank. Now I'm reading that some change 50% up to nearly all of the water can be changed out safely. What's the popular opinion here?

Water Changes

Hello jas...

The more you can change and the more often you change it, the healthier your fish and plants will be.

I change a minimum of half the water in my tanks every week. Sometimes, if time permits, I'll do the large water changes every 5 or 6 days. But, I don't let a tank go longer than a week without the large WC.

B

I do at least 25-40 every 4-5 days.... 75 once a month when all rocks get moved and rearranged. Water hold VERY little beneficial bacteria... It is held in mainly in your filter media and some in the substrate and decos. But you should only rinse media in a bucket of tank water... Totally replacing or rinsing in tap water will kill that bacteria and start a mini cycle....

Back
Top Bottom