Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Peaceful New World Cichlid Stocking Advice

I am currently cycling my 125 gallon/468 Litre, 5 foot tank, 2 Aqua One Nautilus 800 external cannister filters.

Im sure i have chopped and changed my ideas for the tank 100 times, I have gone off the idea of an Oscar as it limits what I can put in there a lot, but I was wondering if anyone can give me their thoughts or advice on this stocklist for it. Thats if I can get all these in Australia easily haha.

2 Uaru amphiacanthoides
2 Firemouths
1 Gold Severum
1 Red Spotted Severum
10 Congo Tetras

Does this sound like a good mix?

Thanks

Old 06-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fire mouth cichlids can be aggressive so I'd watch them. Also, if you want a new world setup I would remove the congo tetras because those are from Africa.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #3

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner View Post
Fire mouth cichlids can be aggressive so I'd watch them.
Have you ever actually owned a Thorichthys meeki? They are from the way you describe them.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have read a few sources that refer to them as semi aggressive.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #5

Yea I realise that they can be a bit aggressive from what I reasearched, but in comparision to a lot of the other ones im sure they cant be too bad? if I only had one would that be better?, And yes I know Congos are from Africa, but they look really nice and seem to be large eneough to go with those fish, the only other dither kind that I could think of are buenos aires tetra or silver dollars (which seem so common in everones tank), I dont like plecos or clown loaches or tinfoil barbs. Anyone kept Uaru that can say that they would work in this aquarium?

Theres just too many fish that I want to choose from haha
Old 06-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #6

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner View Post
I have read a few sources that refer to them as semi aggressive.
Yes and they also list tiger barbs and other small tropicals in that same category, they're at the very bottom of the aggression scale when categorizing new world cichlid aggression.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #7

I would replace the congo's with black skirts and the Firemouth with a geophagus trio and make it an all South American tank!!!!! Viva la SA!!!!
Old 06-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #8

3 of what Geophagus species do you suggest? I do like them and considered them, but I thought they might eat the Congo Tetras, I Like black Skirt Tetra but I dont want them in this tank. So that wont be overstocked with 3 Geophagus, 2 Uaru, 2 Severum and a dither school of something?, I really like those Firemouths but your right, I just noticed thats the only one from central America that would be in there.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget6476 View Post
3 of what Geophagus species do you suggest? I do like them and considered them, but I thought they might eat the Congo Tetras, I Like black Skirt Tetra but I dont want them in this tank. So that wont be overstocked with 3 Geophagus, 2 Uaru, 2 Severum and a dither school of something?, I really like those Firemouths but your right, I just noticed thats the only one from central America that would be in there.
I like the red head tapajos lol.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget6476 View Post
Most of your altifron species will get some nice size and have great color. Winemilleri, brachybranchus, red head tapajos and steindachneri will have nice deep reds. I suggest you google the ones I mentioned above, along with species in the biotodoma, satanoperca and retroculus family.
No....you will not be overstocked as long as you have adequate filtration. Bear in mind that the geos will dig all day, so if you want clear water, over filtrate.
There are plenty of South American tetras so, once again google and find ones you like. Don't go too small to avoid them becoming snacks.

Tags
advice, cichlid, peaceful, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com