Peaceful New World Cichlid Stocking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nugget6476

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am currently cycling my 125 gallon/468 Litre, 5 foot tank, 2 Aqua One Nautilus 800 external cannister filters.

Im sure i have chopped and changed my ideas for the tank 100 times, I have gone off the idea of an Oscar as it limits what I can put in there a lot, but I was wondering if anyone can give me their thoughts or advice on this stocklist for it. Thats if I can get all these in Australia easily haha.

2 Uaru amphiacanthoides
2 Firemouths
1 Gold Severum
1 Red Spotted Severum
10 Congo Tetras

Does this sound like a good mix?

Thanks

Fire mouth cichlids can be aggressive so I'd watch them. Also, if you want a new world setup I would remove the congo tetras because those are from Africa.

Yea I realise that they can be a bit aggressive from what I reasearched, but in comparision to a lot of the other ones im sure they cant be too bad? if I only had one would that be better?, And yes I know Congos are from Africa, but they look really nice and seem to be large eneough to go with those fish, the only other dither kind that I could think of are buenos aires tetra or silver dollars (which seem so common in everones tank), I dont like plecos or clown loaches or tinfoil barbs. Anyone kept Uaru that can say that they would work in this aquarium?

Theres just too many fish that I want to choose from haha

I would replace the congo's with black skirts and the Firemouth with a geophagus trio and make it an all South American tank!!!!! Viva la SA!!!!

3 of what Geophagus species do you suggest? I do like them and considered them, but I thought they might eat the Congo Tetras, I Like black Skirt Tetra but I dont want them in this tank. So that wont be overstocked with 3 Geophagus, 2 Uaru, 2 Severum and a dither school of something?, I really like those Firemouths but your right, I just noticed thats the only one from central America that would be in there.

3 of what Geophagus species do you suggest? I do like them and considered them, but I thought they might eat the Congo Tetras, I Like black Skirt Tetra but I dont want them in this tank. So that wont be overstocked with 3 Geophagus, 2 Uaru, 2 Severum and a dither school of something?, I really like those Firemouths but your right, I just noticed thats the only one from central America that would be in there.

I like the red head tapajos lol.

Most of your altifron species will get some nice size and have great color. Winemilleri, brachybranchus, red head tapajos and steindachneri will have nice deep reds. I suggest you google the ones I mentioned above, along with species in the biotodoma, satanoperca and retroculus family.
No....you will not be overstocked as long as you have adequate filtration. Bear in mind that the geos will dig all day, so if you want clear water, over filtrate.
There are plenty of South American tetras so, once again google and find ones you like. Don't go too small to avoid them becoming snacks.

I just had a look, they are very beautiful, I think im sold on them now:), either them or surinamesis, so im thinking:

1 Gold Severum
1 Red Spot Severum
2 Uaru
3 Geophagus either Red Head tapajos or surinamesis

Now I just need or would like a school of dither fish, any ideas? I will probably go with Congos if I cant find anything else as good

I just had a look, they are very beautiful, I think im sold on them now:), either them or surinamesis, so im thinking:

1 Gold Severum
1 Red Spot Severum
2 Uaru
3 Geophagus either Red Head tapajos or surinamesis

Now I just need or would like a school of dither fish, any ideas? I will probably go with Congos if I cant find anything else as good

Rumy nose tetras or roseline/denison barbs

I already have Rummynose in my smaller tank, but those barb look pretty neat:), how big do they grow to be? And for the Geophagus species, I already have small gravel in my tank, would they be happy with that?

Oh thats really nice:), and i see you have gravel so that answers that question, I will post what mine looks like so far if your interested

Oh thats really nice:), and i see you have gravel so that answers that question, I will post what mine looks like so far if your interested

Please post pics!!!! We love them here at AA!!!!

I actually don't have gravel. Pool filter sand mixed with black diamond blasting sand to give a darker color. Gravel is fine, but if you want to see their natural behavior I suggest sand. Watching them sift and filter the sand through their gills is really cool.

I already have Rummynose in my smaller tank, but those barb look pretty neat:), how big do they grow to be? And for the Geophagus species, I already have small gravel in my tank, would they be happy with that?

If you're gonna go SA the barbs won't fit. They are endemic to India. Rummy nose are a good fit.

I might move the fake plants a bit, or make a few more caves, I collected the log from out the river, and i boiled it and washed and soaked it for about a month. Theres all this tissue looking stuff floatng in the tank at the moment, im assuming its from the cannister filter, has that ever happened to anyone?

Attachments

• DSC_0116.jpg
    DSC_0116.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC_0115.jpg
    DSC_0115.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0112.jpg
    DSC_0112.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom