Peaches The Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I posted a thread earlier to figure out what type of Oscar this fish is, and I said I'd post one all about her- so here is it:)

Peaches is a 3-year-old Lutino Red Oscar that a locally-owned fish store acquired a few days ago when her original owners tank sprung a BIG leak. Yikes! They did the responsible thing and brought Peaches and her guppies (I'll talk about that in a minute) to the pet store where they could take her and find a good new home for her:)

I was at the pet store yesterday browsing for what I was going to buy for my upcoming 40 gallon community, when I saw Peaches. I was right away taken by her, and I must have spent 15 minutes at her tank watching her. She is the sweetest Oscar you'll ever meet! You can hand feed her, she acts silly, and loves to play.
I left the pet store and went to an appointment I had close by, but the entire time I was thinking about if I should get this awesome fish, or my community tank. I surely didn't have room or money for both, but by the end of the appointment I had made up my mind to go back to the pet store and ask about her at least.

I found out the story of Peaches, and that she refused to eat feeder fish xD Her owners had bought her feeder guppies, but she never ate them and they just grew up and she kept them like "pets". Funniest thing I've ever heard xD The store was willing to sell her to me, but I hadn't gotten a large tank yet, so I needed to do so before they would let me.

A trip to the next town and $500 later, we were going back to Peaches' store to pay so she wasn't sold in the time it took to set up the tank:) My name is on her tank, and we're going to get her Sunday :D I'm very excited. This is my first Oscar, let alone Cichlid or any big fish for that matter. I set up her tank last night, and I'm going to add a larger decoration in the center as soon as I find something perfect.

New fish adventures await!

Attachments

• image-1595577993.jpg
    image-1595577993.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 152
  • image-1196364706.jpg
    image-1196364706.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 168
You'll have to keep a close on your water parameters testing regularly as you'll be doing a fish-in cycle with a large fish..lots of water changes in your future...what size tank will Peaches be going in?

You'll have to keep a close on your water parameters testing regularly as you'll be doing a fish-in cycle with a large fish..lots of water changes in your future...what size tank will Peaches be going in?

I'm fully aware and ready:) I'm one of those strange people that enjoy water changes and tank maintenance a lot, not really sure why :p It is a 44 gallon, and yes, I know they need at least a 55, but she was in one at the pet store and it just wasn't wide enough for her. I went with this, even though it's a little smaller but the shape is much better. I might always upgrade to like a 75 in the future, but this will be good for now:)

What a neat story. Reminds me of the GW shark in Nemo up until he smelt blood. Good luck with Peaches (and friends).

I got Peaches today! :)

She's a little sulky, but I went right away and did research and that is typical?

I think she'll be up and at em' in a day or two:)

Here's a picture:

Attachments

• image-2259092170.jpg
    image-2259092170.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 141
She'll be fine, just trying to win the Academy award for best female actress in a dramatic roll.

Last edited:
She's be fine, just trying to win the Academy award for best female in a dramatic roll.

Lol :D And ever since I posted that comment, she's been more active and checking things out a little more:)

Just remember lots of filtration and no nitrates over 20ppm, and feed a high quality pellet like NLS or Hikari Bio-Gold. Since the tank turned out smaller I wouldn't advise any tankmates, the oscar will already play havoc on the water parameters by herself.

Last edited:
Just remember lots of filtration and no nitrates over 20ppm, and feed a high quality pellet like NLS or Hikari Bio-Gold. Since the tank turned out smaller I wouldn't advise any tankmates, the oscar will already play havoc on the water parameters by herself.

The pet store had been feeding her the Hikari, so that's what I have:) thank you for that and I'm all over checking the water and making it healthy for the fish ;)

A friend has had Oscars for years and they can be very dramatic, especially sulky. lol

Hers would get angry for her moving the decorations or adding anything additional to the tank. Tore up anything she put in there, and knocked down things too, lol.

Peaches looks lovely.

A friend has had Oscars for years and they can be very dramatic, especially sulky. lol

Hers would get angry for her moving the decorations or adding anything additional to the tank. Tore up anything she put in there, and knocked down things too, lol.

Peaches looks lovely.

Oh goodness o.o those are quite the fish she has there. Peaches is completely fine now, so I'm happy she isn't one of those overly sad about change oscars that can take a couple days to get over it :]

Give her time, she will have her own ideas about how the tank should look. I don't think i have seen an Oscar that didn't redecorate.

Give her time, she will have her own ideas about how the tank should look. I don't think i have seen an Oscar that didn't redecorate.

I woke up yesterday morning laughing, it's funny you said this. Her entire tank decor had been moved around, some of the plants floating on top of the water. Her personality that I saw at the pet shop is really shining through now:) I love her, and she's quickly become a wonderful addition to the family. She's even picky if her food is too soggy or too hard or how I give it to her :D I love it

Here is a picture I took of Peaches:) you can see the (first) plant she got floating.

Attachments

• image-4223332426.jpg
    image-4223332426.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 69
Back
Top Bottom