Peacock compatibility question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ousig

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are there any known peacocks that don't get along with other peacocks? Do I need to worry about what each eats or do they pretty much all eat the same thing? I read people say they do all males but really never specify which ones. Is that because it doesn't matter?

I'll hank up the phone now and listen to your answers :)

Peace

Also, anyone have any good recommendations on what a good diet might look like for peacocks?

Does not matter which peacock if you go all male they should do fine. Every once in a while you get the random jerk that tries to dominate the tank. But I and others have had the timeout method work.

I go with a good quality pellet and flakes. A couple times a week I feed frozen blood worms and frozen shrimp. In nature they are an open water fish feeding on mainly smaller fish. So high protein is the way to go.

Jacobfriebergi are a little more agressive. Koningsi and Ngara Flametail are the most mellow. I have had to swap fish to finally get a good balance. My German Red and Blue Neon Chirwindi were trouble so i traded them for another that were a bt younger and all is fine. In my 180 hap and peacock tank i have these peacocks Ngara Flametail, Koningsi, Maylandia Sulfer Head, Benga Yellow, Masoni, Firefish, Bi Color 500, German Red, Lwanda, and a small Jacobfriebergi Otter Point. In my grow tanks i have Yellow Collar Mazinzi Reef, Lemon Jacobfriebergi, Blue Neon Chirwindi, Huseri. Peacocks that are sub dominant will not color up that easily so having grow tanks help until they are bigger and colored up. Another trick is to add new fsh at night after dark to reduce aggression. I feed once daily on a rotating basis NLS pellets, Omega Cichlid Flake, and NLS Flake. Good luck.

Ralfieboy,

Great info! Will keep you posted on what I get. How big is your grow tank and how long do you keep them there before moving to show tank?

Ok, put my first order in today. I got 3 of the following peacocks and they are between 1 - 2.5 inches:

Lwanda
Baenschi
Stuartgranti Ngara
German Red
Sulfurhead

Hopefully I get at least 1 male of each type. They will be here Tues. :)

Anyone have concerns?

Thanks in advance....

No I never had problems peacocks are vary nice unless you have a female around than they go psycho and fight club breaks out

You have a nice start. My grow tanks are 35, 2 x 30, 2 x 20, 15, & 10. The 10 and a 20 also sub fir hospital tanks when necessary and i just move some fish around.

How many fish to grow out at a time in your 35? I have a 30 that will be mine for now. Could I get away with 10 at a time? Thinking of doing 2 of each species each time until it find my males.

I'm thinking 15 - 17 male with maybe 3 yellow labs later on ?

Peace

How many fish to grow out at a time in your 35? I have a 30 that will be mine for now. Could I get away with 10 at a time? Thinking of doing 2 of each species each time until it find my males.

I'm thinking 15 - 17 male with maybe 3 yellow labs later on ?

Peace

In one of my 30's i have: 2 inch albino Kyoga Flameback, 2 inch Lethrinops Intermedius, 3 x 2.5 inch Protomelas Tangerine Tigers, 3 inch Ngara Flametail (orange), 2.5 inch Lemon Jake, 2 inch Blue Neon Chirwindi, 2 inch Firefish, female Phenoculus Mdoka White Lips female. 3 x 3 inch Phenoculus Tanzania, 3 inch female Copadichromis Verunyi, 3 inch Otopharynx Yellow Blaze Lithobates female, 3 inch Synodontis Multipunctatus, & 3 x 2 inch Botia Sidthmunki's

In the 20 i have: 5 inch Protomelas Taiwanee Reef & a 5 inch albino Red Empress. The Taiwanee Reef is sub dominant and I wan him to colour up. The Albino Red Empress i wish to breed soon. I need more room though.

In the 35 I have 80 fry: Otopharynx Yellow Blaze Lithobates, Protomelas Tangerine Tiger, Mbenji Peacock, & Synodontis Multipuctatus

In the other 30 I have females: Mbenji Peacock, Lwanda Peacock, 3 x Tangerine Tger, Red Empress, Kyoga Flameback

In the other 20 i have 2 inch Huseri Peacock, 1.5 inch German Red Peacock, 2 x 1.5 inch Tangerine Tiger, 9 x 1.5 inch female Kyoga Flameback's

In the 15 gallon: trying to breed Yellow Collar Mazinzi Reef Peacocks.

In the 10 gallon: female Otopharynx Yellow Blaze Lithobates holding fry + Synodontis Multipuctatus fry. I watched her breed in the 180 with the male. The Multipunctatus were zoomng through. I throw females in the man tank to get some Multipuctatus fry. The parasitic breeding habits of the Synodontis Multipuctatus is pretty neat. Their fry are so cool.

The key is weekly 20-30 percent water changes and heavy filtration. My heavily stocked 30 probably has too many fish in it. I have to do a cull on the 180 so that I can add fish from the 30 and trade some of the fry that I grew out or sell some from the 30.

If you are buying from a pet store look for spots on the anal fin. This works for most peacocks except Firefish and OB Peacocks. Ordering online makes it tough and decreases your chance of getting all males unless you pay a premium.

Take care

Back
Top Bottom