Peacock with mbuna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tried it and wouldn't recommend it. The mbuna are too aggressive and the peacocks unless much bigger will just lose their colour and drift into the background. I think your better off making a long term decision which way you want to go. I went for an all male haps and peacocks tank in the end.

I have both of all sizes and everyone get along fine. It really depends on the attitude of individuals. People have had killer peacocks before. It depends on tank size, decor, water conditions, etc. if you feel you can pull it off then go for it. If your not so sure then stick to one or the other.

I've got a 75 gallon with juvenile mbuna all about 2". My buddy is trying to get rid of a full grown electric blue peacock

I would go for it. That's a good opportunity, because the peacock is larger, so it might be able to establish itself.

What species of mbuna do ya have? IME, that's the key. More mellow species like yellow labs, rusties, and saluosi do alright with peacocks. Hyper-aggressive species like kenyi or auratus are a no go. Species that fall in between are a hit and miss with peacocks, and even then the peacocks aren't likely to show their best color, as they'll be sub-dominant to the mbuna.

WYite

Haymaker said:
I've got a 75 gallon with juvenile mbuna all about 2". My buddy is trying to get rid of a full grown electric blue peacock

I think you should get it. The peacock Gould be ok and will look great

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will give him a try since my buddy was just going to give him to the lfs. I will just keep an eye on him and of it looks like he is in trouble take him out.

Well I took him in and so far so good. Maybe because he is so much larger than the mbuna they want nothing to do with him. Will have to watch as they get bigger.
image-544647969.jpg

Looking into it I think you are right. From what ive read it seems a hap is better suited to deal with the mbuna.

Not all haps are tough enough to deal with mbuna, but this guy should be. They can be purty rambunctious. I've seen 'em with mbuna quite often over the years.

WYite

Back
Top Bottom