Peacocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AssistedDecoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
So im sure this has been asked buuuttttt here we go again. I have a 240 and im filling with all male peacocks. Im doing what I can with the funds I have but I know I don't have enough right now im sitting at 28, but whats my magic number?

Current stock

2 ob
3 jacobfreibergi
2 electric blue
1 blue orchid
2 german red
2 albino somethings
2 strawbery
1 yellow something
1 colorless something
4 lemon jake
2 ob spotted
3 Sulfurhead
1 red should
1 ruby red
1 unsure (i belive is an accidental female)

A 240 gallon, or a 240 liter?
I'm not sure there's a magic number when it comes to cichlids. Some people prefer to overstock their tanks, some people prefer fewer fish with more hides and territories. I tend to split the difference, as I've tried nearly every method imaginable in my years of fish-keeping, and it works best for me. If you're interested in the overstock method, KGTropicals has a great video on youtube talking about that, once you get through 10 minutes of blather.

240 gallon? What's the length, 6 ft? Either way, your magic number is no more or less than you already have. I wouldn't consider adding more given the size many of those Peacocks hit, even if juvies now. Those Jake's should hit 7 inches, many other sp. will hit 6 inches. You have plenty.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I probably wouldn't double what you have, but IMO, you're certainly safe adding several more. Opinions differ, so hopefully someone will give you a third, but mine is that more fish will be fine in that size tank. If worse comes to worse, and indecision weighs on you though, I'm sure I could find room to squeeze your tank into my fish room. :D

Im going to add more but idk how many I want to add, i was hoping someone would say "add 10 more and see what happens" but jasnt happened yet lol

An 8 ft tank does change things, since floor space is important for these guys. With plenty of rocks for sight breaks you could definitely add more, just let your nitrate production serve as an indicator.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom