Pellets or live food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidbreeder321

Aquarium Advice Regular
I always feed my rams cichlid pellets but i heard many people only feed there cichlids live food. Should i feed my fish live every once in a while or does it even matter?

If you choose a quality pellet like New Life Spectrum there is no need to supplement live foods.

I don't agree. =]

All fish benefit from a variety of foods. It doesn't matter if you feed them gold and rainbows and unicorn meat. ;)

You could feed live or frozen once a week.

Most people frown on live food for cichlids. You don't know where or what the feeder fish may have. You can of course have a small tank and be sure youre' not passing on parasites or disease and raise your own.

years ago i fed live to my oscars and now I don't believe I did that! LOL

I don't agree. =]

All fish benefit from a variety of foods. It doesn't matter if you feed them gold and rainbows and unicorn meat. ;)

You could feed live or frozen once a week.

I think you'll find the vast majority of experienced fish keepers don't use any live/frozen food. If you research foods like NLS you would understand why there is no need to supplement even in picky marine fish. Spend some time reading about Pablo from NLS before giving out advice to people asking questions.

Most people frown on live food for cichlids. You don't know where or what the feeder fish may have. You can of course have a small tank and be sure youre' not passing on parasites or disease and raise your own.

years ago i fed live to my oscars and now I don't believe I did that! LOL

I didn't mean feeder fish, I meant live brine shrimp or small live foods.

Yep, that's what I had in mind too, just stuff you raise yourself at home. Those feeder tanks at lfs' make my skin crawl. Bet half those fish wouldnt even last a week in a regular tank. lol

Ahh, I see. =] I've just had a really great experience feeding live brine shrimp so I guess I see it differently. But you have more experience with cichlids!

Lol I used to feed my oscars koi when I had them. They were huge but knowing what I know now I know they weren't healthy. Lol this was over 20 yrs ago. But yeah fish food has come a long way and nls does the trick. I use it in all 7 of my tanks with some frozen for the salt fish.

I wonder if my glass cats would eat that though... they're very attached to their lil shrimpies.

Rosenweiss said:
I wonder if my glass cats would eat that though... they're very attached to their lil shrimpies.

Honestly I would get a small container of it and see. They have food for every application. All my fish took right to it.

I'd love to do that, but none of my LFS's sell it and it's so expensive online...

My petco actually started selling it. Yeah it is expensive, but so is any food really. and a jar can last you forever pretty much.

Just options for you and the OP. :-D

We don't have a petco. XD But yeah... I know it'd probably be a good idea...

Edit: Actually wait, just found one. XD We just usually go to Pet Supplies Plus, CountryMax, or Pet World.

Back
Top Bottom