Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
Pet Oscars lol

I love my Oscars soo much. I just realized that I can put my hand in the water and they will let me pet them lol...Soo cooolll!!!!!

My Pacu doesn't let me though...He's a bit skiddish...which is weird considering he is the biggest thing in the tank.lol He's only like 3-4 months old. When I got him he was the size of a suction cup off my xP3 and now he is the size of an oval side dish tray...like 8-9" long and 4-5" tall...An awesome fish... He eats soo much... He will just keep eating and eating and eating if I were to keep feeding. He's gonna be a big boy lol...

Old 09-18-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Codefox Send a message via AIM to Codefox Send a message via MSN to Codefox Send a message via Yahoo to Codefox
Oscars are definately one of the coolest fish you can keep, FW or SW. I don't think there's any fish out there that can compete with their personality.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codefox
Oscars are definately one of the coolest fish you can keep, FW or SW. I don't think there's any fish out there that can compete with their personality.
I have to agree. One of the smarter fish that I've owned.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Mine was a great pet. I think he looked forward to his daily scratrch between the eyes. They do ooze personality.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mosaic
Just to play devil's advocate, I really hated mine. I think I've loved every other fish I've had more than the oscar (especially my current babies). The sad thing is that he had to live 8 years with someone who didn't really like him I wish we did have a fun relationship, though, like I expected we would.

55g: (Mostly) African riverine species: Alestes Chaperi, breeding pair of Kribs, and rhino pleco
30g: Newly established reef tank
10g: Planted but fishless
5g: Unplanted with various snail species
2.5g: Heavily planted with betta.
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Codefox Send a message via AIM to Codefox Send a message via MSN to Codefox Send a message via Yahoo to Codefox
Why didn't you like your Oscar?
Old 09-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mosaic
Partially it was because he wasn't entirely my choice. The tank was mine, but everyone else in the family wanted one, so I got one. As you can probably imagine, as soon as the novelty wore off I was the one who had to keep the beast clean. But everyone still had their opinion about how I should take care of him, and we had some heated discussions about it over the years.

I sort of resented him, I guess. I could have done a whole lot more with the tank (and I have, since he's been gone). So it's probably not entirely his fault. But he had a really bland personality, actually, compared with some of the fish I have now. He also did stupid stuff, like breaking the heater and canopy. But I guess I could have expected it from a cichlid.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack. It just makes me depressed because it seems like everyone else really has fun with theirs, and I realize what potential there was.

55g: (Mostly) African riverine species: Alestes Chaperi, breeding pair of Kribs, and rhino pleco
30g: Newly established reef tank
10g: Planted but fishless
5g: Unplanted with various snail species
2.5g: Heavily planted with betta.
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mine has done some funny things. Once, I didn't realize that one of the food sticks had fallen on top of the glass cover. All I heard was the odd bumping sound and looked at the tank. He was trying to jump out of the water to get the stick (I usually hold the stick and he has to jump up to get it).

I have petted him from time-to-time.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
Re: Pet Oscars lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerman

My Pacu doesn't let me though...He's a bit skiddish...which is weird considering he is the biggest thing in the tank.lol He's only like 3-4 months old. When I got him he was the size of a suction cup off my xP3 and now he is the size of an oval side dish tray...like 8-9" long and 4-5" tall...An awesome fish... He eats soo much... He will just keep eating and eating and eating if I were to keep feeding. He's gonna be a big boy lol...
umm, just my advice, the pacu will keep growing, try finding a new home for him, like a lake or river... lol

heres a sad article on pacu's

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...ad.php?t=51417

just so you stay aware
Old 09-19-2006, 07:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Thebluyak
Re: Pet Oscars lol

He is kidding, dont ever release captive wildlife into lakes or rivers. There was a problem with people doing this and then snails got banned. Piranhas are illegal in southern states because some kid would think it would be funny to release a bunch into a river and since we a have a warm climate they would populate.

Tags
oscar, oscars

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com