Pet Oscars lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Speakerman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I love my Oscars soo much. I just realized that I can put my hand in the water and they will let me pet them lol...Soo cooolll!!!!!

My Pacu doesn't let me though...He's a bit skiddish...which is weird considering he is the biggest thing in the tank.lol He's only like 3-4 months old. When I got him he was the size of a suction cup off my xP3 and now he is the size of an oval side dish tray...like 8-9" long and 4-5" tall...An awesome fish... He eats soo much... He will just keep eating and eating and eating if I were to keep feeding. He's gonna be a big boy lol...

Oscars are definately one of the coolest fish you can keep, FW or SW. I don't think there's any fish out there that can compete with their personality.

Codefox said:
Oscars are definately one of the coolest fish you can keep, FW or SW. I don't think there's any fish out there that can compete with their personality.

I have to agree. One of the smarter fish that I've owned.

Mine was a great pet. I think he looked forward to his daily scratrch between the eyes. They do ooze personality.

Just to play devil's advocate, I really hated mine. I think I've loved every other fish I've had more than the oscar (especially my current babies). The sad thing is that he had to live 8 years with someone who didn't really like him :( I wish we did have a fun relationship, though, like I expected we would.

Partially it was because he wasn't entirely my choice. The tank was mine, but everyone else in the family wanted one, so I got one. As you can probably imagine, as soon as the novelty wore off I was the one who had to keep the beast clean. But everyone still had their opinion about how I should take care of him, and we had some heated discussions about it over the years.

I sort of resented him, I guess. I could have done a whole lot more with the tank (and I have, since he's been gone). So it's probably not entirely his fault. But he had a really bland personality, actually, compared with some of the fish I have now. He also did stupid stuff, like breaking the heater and canopy. But I guess I could have expected it from a cichlid.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack. It just makes me depressed because it seems like everyone else really has fun with theirs, and I realize what potential there was.

Mine has done some funny things. Once, I didn't realize that one of the food sticks had fallen on top of the glass cover. All I heard was the odd bumping sound and looked at the tank. He was trying to jump out of the water to get the stick (I usually hold the stick and he has to jump up to get it).

I have petted him from time-to-time.

Speakerman said:
My Pacu doesn't let me though...He's a bit skiddish...which is weird considering he is the biggest thing in the tank.lol He's only like 3-4 months old. When I got him he was the size of a suction cup off my xP3 and now he is the size of an oval side dish tray...like 8-9" long and 4-5" tall...An awesome fish... He eats soo much... He will just keep eating and eating and eating if I were to keep feeding. He's gonna be a big boy lol...

umm, just my advice, the pacu will keep growing, try finding a new home for him, like a lake or river... lol

heres a sad article on pacu's

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51417

just so you stay aware

He is kidding, dont ever release captive wildlife into lakes or rivers. There was a problem with people doing this and then snails got banned. Piranhas are illegal in southern states because some kid would think it would be funny to release a bunch into a river and since we a have a warm climate they would populate.

What up Speakerman. Yeah Your Oscars are pretty cool. That pacu will always be a little skiddish by nature. Here I got some pics of some pacus that are close to full grown.

Hey I saw those pacu finally at the petco the shorter girl there put a bunch of feeders in there and was like "why wont they eat them" she dumped them in there after I told her that pacus were vegetarians like she was going to prove me wrong or something.

I've seen many different behaviours from oscars.... My best memory was happy, a gold albino that would come to the surface and roll onto it's side for a pat....

I always enjoy the odd scar jumpin @ meal time onto the good old finger before it's been dropped. Always a laugh when mates come round.! Gotta love em'

Oh yeah everyone always loves to feed my oscars treats when they come over I have some jumbo krill I cut into small pieces just for those occasions when a friend stops by and wants to feed them.

Back
Top Bottom