pH at 7.6 and worried about my newly added German Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

177ichael

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

I just recently added a couple German Blues yesterday and decided to test my pH. It turns out my pH levels are around 7.6 - 7.8 and my gH is at about 5. I've read that Rams thrive at lower pH levels and I'm worried that mine are going to suffer from the high pH. I've also read mixed reviews about tampering with the pH unless thinking about breeding.

Will my Rams show color and thrive in perfect water conditions other than pH? Or, is it worth the gamble to try to adjust my pH and buffering for the sake of trying to create optimal conditions for my Rams. Also, is it unheard of for Rams to breed at pH levels this high? From my tap, my reading are in the high 7s for pH...

Thanks.

haha actually i have been watching this topic too, as I have no experience in trying to lower Ph, only raising it. :|

I would not expect them to croak over in 7.7 but they would be happier and more likely to breed in lower Ph. Load up on the driftwood seems to be the most sensible approach from what I have read.

I wonder, could you use wood chips as a filter medium to bufer down? Sort of like the opposite of crushed coral/oystershell? Just an idea...

Peat is what I always seem to read about being the item to use in your filter. I wouldn't be able to tell you how much to use but if you add small amounts and give it a week or two I'm sure you could gradually bring the PH down to a more comfortable level for your rams.

You're right that playing with pH can be dangerous to your fish, but this is more the case with phosphate buffers and other chemicals. Peat and coral adjust pH as naturally as possible (after all, in nature wood, peat, coral, stone adjust water's pH), so they are safe to use.

However, I think there is little reason to lower your pH. Most fish can survive a little out of there natural pH range.

Back
Top Bottom