PH in cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I thought that my limestone/flint rocks would most certainly buffer up my PH in my cichlid tank.. however.. the pH is now almost exactly at 7. Do i need to do something to change it??? Crushed coral??? IS there anything around the house i could possibly use that is safe?

I know i have hard water and the pH tap is like 7.6 so i thought for sure the limestonen would kick it up to at least 8.something. Any ideas?

I'm suprised that it's bringing it down. Is there anything else in the tank that could be? Have you tested your hardness?

I wouldn't use household stuff like baking soda. It's touchy and is an instant pH change. IMO the best way to increase the pH is with crushed coral. Does your filter allow for it? I would put a cup of the cc in the filter and retest about a week later. The cc will only bring it up to 7.8, but that's better than 7.0.

sand substrate ? do you have wood in there? wood brings it down again as you probly know. Uncle uses oyster shells (after he's eaten the oysters) and others i know use the crushed coral.
I just have white sand and limestone which keeps it spot on at 8

Are you trying to induce spawning behavior or have wild caught fish? If nither then I really don't see why PH should be a problem unless your seeing some behavior that is telling you that they are stressed.

no they aren't stressed. It's just a natural stone looking gravel bottom and limestone/flint rocks.

Do you have a KH testkit?
The PH dropping that much really isnt making any sence unless you have low KH out of the tap.
It could take some time for your stone to start buffering as well.

again. unless it keeps droping I wouldnt sweet it.

nah the pH is steady. I have very very hard water... not sure of the exact readings... but its been steady at 7.0 in the tank ever since i changed over to african cichlids. When i was trying to keep angels it was always 7.6.. lol. go figure.

it sounds like a KH or an acid issue..
so long as you are short on driftwood and high on water changes acid shouldnt be the problem..

so if you want to investigate it any further I would really recomend getting a KH testkit. :p

greenmaji said:
it sounds like a KH or an acid issue..
so long as you are short on driftwood and high on water changes acid shouldnt be the problem..

so if you want to investigate it any further I would really recomend getting a KH testkit. :p

yeah i need to order a KH testkit, and a phosphate, and an iron test kit (for my planted tank) I just got an order of cartrige refills, food, and thermometrs though and i can't order again till the end of next month. (Its bill time right now).

no driftwood!... lol. Although i HAVE been slacking on my water changes recently.. ive got 2 months till i graduate from the R.N. program and ive gotta get prepared to take my licensing exam.. as well as do my practicum.. and im going to be an E.R. nurse so im doing my practicum in the E.R. and i have to get advanced life support classes too.. SO MUCH TO DO!!!!

anyway thanks for the info and i will get on it as soon as i am able to.

Back
Top Bottom