PH level trouble please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Findmickeyshunick

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My PH level is so low the color isn't even on the test strip. I have used neutralizing PH chemicals and PH up chemicals and nothing is working.

Do a water change and buy 'proper ph' (brand:API) Dont reccomend using it too often but it really does the trick from time to time, not to say its super expensive but at my local shop its not cheap :-/. Dependent on the type of cichlids u have get 7.0. or 8.2 for african cichlids. They also have 6.5 and i think 6.8. Either that or u had the same brain fart as me, my nano reef was testing really bad and i take a water sample to the store and they said it was perfect, When i went home i checked my test kits and they were all expired. Lol

And look up measurements online but i have heard that baking soda raises ph pretty well as well, personally ive never tried it

My PH level is so low the color isn't even on the test strip. I have used neutralizing PH chemicals and PH up chemicals and nothing is working.

First, go pick up the API Master Test kit and toss those strips right into the garbage. As long as the API test kit bottles are not expired, they work great. I've cycled and maintained multiple tanks with them.

Next is the subject of pH manipulation. I'd be very wary of altering your pH chemically, especially before you have a kit like the API that will give you good readings to show you where you stand. if your pH turns out to still be too low (and I only mean REALLY low, since most cichlids can tolerate low pH if it is stable), then you can look at some type of treatment. There are a host of problems with using pH Up and Baking Soda and trying to control your pH.

First, go pick up the API Master Test kit and toss those strips right into the garbage. As long as the API test kit bottles are not expired, they work great. I've cycled and maintained multiple tanks with them.

This is your best bet and the best advice given so far, before you try manipulate your water chemisty based on a worthless stick of paper. They truly are inaccurate, this past weekend I had newly purchased fish die and the shop tried tell me my ammonia was at 3ppm! But after I insisted they use a liquid test kit and low and behold its zero.

Then of you truly need to raise your PH just add some crushed coral I to one of your filters in a nylon bag. Don't use any of those proper PH type chemicals, they'll leave you more frustrated after spikes and crashes than your are now. Find out what is truly is then post back with the results.

Last edited:
Ok I just found this forum and I am pretty sure I posted on the wrong thread :-/ I don't have cichlids. I have two tetra and a Chinese algae eater and I'm trying to prep my tank for an African butterfly fish. Do you guys know much about these fish? They were all gifts. One of my two algae eaters passes away an I had a gourami pass too. These fish are my survivors and I'd be devastated if I lost them.

Back
Top Bottom