ph problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickyg78

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I went and got test strips and my readings were
Nitrate 10
nitirite 0
total hardness 75
alkalinity is super low color wasn't on the chart.
Ph color not on the chart. it acidic.
Petsmart said use ph up but I don't really want to chemicals. Is there Any other way to make the Ph up? Can I use rocks from out if I was thm?

So I went and got test strips and my readings were
Nitrate 10
nitirite 0
total hardness 75
alkalinity is super low color wasn't on the chart.
Ph color not on the chart. it acidic.
Petsmart said use ph up but I don't really want to chemicals. Is there Any other way to make the Ph up? Can I use rocks from out if I was thm?

Is ditch the test strips and get an API freshwater test kit. Anyway... Your pH is low? What was it?

You can use crushed coral, put it in a media bag and drop in your filter. It will slowly and naturally raise your pH. I have a bag in one of my HOB's and it works like a charm.

Island the exact Ph but it was lower then 6.0 do they sell small bags of crushed coral at the petsore? How much? Do you ever replace it

Island the exact Ph but it was lower then 6.0 do they sell small bags of crushed coral at the petsore? How much? Do you ever replace it

You buy a small bag. 5-10 pound bag. Then get some media bags. There just little mesh bags. Fill it with crushed coral rinse lightly and add to your filter. It can stay there for a few months.

Your local per store should have it, some pet stores don't carry it as they don't carry any saltwater. My PetSmart doesn't have any saltwater but my Petco does.

What type of cichlids do you have and how long have they been in there? If they are africans i think you would see them acting strange in that low of a ph. I would get a better test kit and test again. The strips are horribly unreliable. Ive tested my water with them before and it said my ph was 7 and with the api master freshwater test my ph is at 8.2. The only thing the strips are good for is tossing them in the garbage. Good luck with your tank.

Back
Top Bottom