Planning a new aqua scape. Adding sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garrettkei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 100gallon Milawi tank with mostly juvenile mbunas. I know they enjoy sand so I've bought pool filter sand for the tank. How do I go about changing from gravel to sand? Should I do partial changes or all at once. I know the water will get cloudy no matter how much I rinse before. Is it safe to have fish in the tank during the settling phase? Any advice would be appreciated.

If your siphon is big enough, use that. Otherwise you can just get a plastic cup and scoop it out. As for the sand, if you get a cup and slowly pour it into the tank near the bottom, then it shouldn't be that cloudy if you've cleaned it thoroughly for 10-15 minutes. I've never had any cloudy water when adding sand this way.

There are a lot of helpful youtube vids. I just typed in gravel to sand. I hope to make the change soon as well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very happy with the results. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394258935.536899.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394258956.241791.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394258967.562595.jpg

My plecos are the only ones staying still enough for a photo op so far.

Love it looks great only bad thing is the plecos poop is gonna drive you nuts in the sand

I have had that big fish for 4 years now so I'm sure I'll learn to live and clean my new dirty sand. I love that guy.

Lol o i understand I had my pleco for two and a half years and when I switched to sand just something that bothered me .

New tank looks great, like the black background as well. You'll get used to taking pics with your phone, I take like 100 and only about 10 are useable lol.

Yeah I'm really liking the black background too. I did a charcoal grey on my 30 gallon but I like the black better. Those Mbuna sure do love the sand. It's wonderful watching how happy they are. My 1" red zebra has been digging and piling up the sand for 2 days now.

I really like the white sand with black background, that's what i was thinking with my new tank.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom