Planning on buy a few Discus...advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPA

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am planning on buying a few Discus in the next week or so. Before I make the purchase, I was hoping I could get some advice from people on how to prepare my tank to give them the best chance of survival.

I've read a few profiles on them, but does anyone with first-hand experience have some tips?

Thanks!

I will tell you how I had success, use ro/di water treated with discus essential vitamin and buffer. You will need to check your water to know how much to add, if any. I did 25% pwc per week. Discus need clean water. If you do that, they will thrive. I had many different kinds of discus but when buying make sure they are feeding. Look healthy, and color is good. If you start out with a good fish then you will be way better off. If you want you could get jack whatley discus. He his a well known breeder with lots of variety. But lfs have good ones too. Let me know if you have any more questions.

how big is your tank and what do you have stocking wise in there now?

My tank is 38 gallons...I know this is on the smaller side for Discus but I do eventually plan to upgrade it.

Right now in the tank I have cardinals, rasboras, a blue ram, an electric blue ram, a wide-mouth pleco, and a few cory cats.

I understand that there may be a problem with the higher temperature I will need for the discus. However, I have a friend who has successfully maintained a tank with a very similar stock and discus for several years.

From what I understand, the rams and the cardinals prefer the same sort of water as discus...since all of my fish appear healthy and happy (knock on wood), I hope that the discus will thrive as well.

I am ordering discus from rocky mountain, I just got a 45g show tank and buying 8 3" discus from him, 3 of those 8 will go into my 52 when they are bigger if need be, its only going to be discus. I suggest checking out rockymountaindiscus.com the guy is 100% about quality, brilliance and customer service.

I sent him an email for a availablity and prices on some reds and some blues and snow whites he has, he CALLED me to ask me questions about the tank,water and filtration then he answered my questions. I was very impressed with it, and you might just get a free discus or two. He also sells BNP's and encourages them over other cats and plecos with them.

Back
Top Bottom