Planning on getting cichlids for the first time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hip_shrimp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a ten gallon and I want to get a couple of these guys. I know I won't be able to have them forever because I only have a ten gallon and they will outgrow it eventually. But I wanted some input on what species to get or if I should not get chichlids due to their size what fish should I get?

Ten gallons really isn't big enough to keep more than one cichlid in because there isn't enough room for territory. It would probably be destructive. If you plan on getting a bigger tank, wait to get your cichlids.

You should definitely look into dwarf gourami though. Very fun, and just as beautiful as cichlids :)

Ten gallons really isn't big enough to keep more than one cichlid in because there isn't enough room for territory. It would probably be destructive. If you plan on getting a bigger tank, wait to get your cichlids.

Thanks so much for your advice! I will probably get a couple of gourami. They look pretty swell.

They're really fun! That's what I actually started with before I made the milestone switch to cichlids. The dwarfs are super cute and really fun to watch, plus you can get a little rainbow/red tail shark for the bottom. Gourami are good fish, and definitely not boring like mollies or guppies (no offense). Good luck! :)

Definitely should NOT have any cichlids, two gourami, or a red tail/rainbow shark. The "sharks" need at least 30 gallons and that would only be for one of them. Also, dwarf gourami are territorial and should only be housed singularly in a ten gallon. A school of rasboras would be good tank mates for a gourami. Search through the general discussion threads to get 10g stocking ideas. When you get a 30 gallon tank or bigger, then you can think about some smaller cichlids. Sorry for the bad news.

Definitely should NOT have any cichlids, two gourami, or a red tail/rainbow shark. The "sharks" need at least 30 gallons and that would only be for one of them. Also, dwarf gourami are territorial and should only be housed singularly in a ten gallon. A school of rasboras would be good tank mates for a gourami. Search through the general discussion threads to get 10g stocking ideas. When you get a 30 gallon tank or bigger, then you can think about some smaller cichlids. Sorry for the bad news.

Ok thanks! I'd rather have that news than spend money and have them die/kill each other.

Back
Top Bottom