Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Planted Discus tank

Hi out there. I have been working on setting up a180 gallon planted discus tank. We have read, read and read and we think we are almost ready to start buying our discus. I made contact with a breeder that I felt was a good choice. He came back to me saying that having plants in with a discus tank will cause plenty of problems. He made it sound like a glass bottom was about the only way to go.

If any one out there has had any experience with Discus and plants any advice would be more then welcome

Thanks

Old 01-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Honestly, I don't think I have ever seen a discus tank that HASN'T been planted. Even at fish shops, they are always planted up. I don't have any personal experience with these fish, but that is really weird.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The glass bottom probably helps with water quality while they are growing out. Ive only seen planted discus tanks though.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most breeders grow them out and breed them in bare bottom tanks. Most people that stock adults, do so in planted tanks. There are pros & cons to both approaches and it really comes down to personal preferences.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Are you buying your discus as juvies? If so that might be why they are recommending a bare bottom set up. BB set ups are nice because you can easily clean the excess food and waste out of the tank. Large daily water changes are also required for young discus.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #6

Thanks for your input. It seems like what I am getting is avoid the juvinile stage. My tank is set up and almost ready for the fish. This has helped a lot.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

hope to see some photos of your discus tank soon
tropical-fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have 10 juvinile Discus in my 180 & they are doing great
My 180 is also planted
(:
Old 01-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #9

You breeder is crazy! I've had discus for a while now and they seem to love my tank and it's not a bbt.
The only good thing about bbt is the fact that it's a snap to clean. You don't have to worry about picking up sand you just suck everything out.
Oh and the discus won't have a place to hide so you could see them all day long

But then again thats probably not very cool for them. It's kinda like throwing you in a scary place with no cover. Idk If other ppl agree but I love my little guys and think that's messed up. My hearts just kicking in a guess...anyways

Now if you have a planted tank that makes it a little harder cause you can't see all the poop and food. But if your not lazy and suction good along with weekly h2o changes you will be good. You still won't get everything but hey thats what a filter is for. So just don't cheap out on a filter make sure there's good filtration without to much water disturbance. As you probably know discus don't like fast moving water.
Another plus to a planted tank is the fact that plants will soak up some of the toxic waste that poisons the fish. It's like natural filter in your tank!
Plus it really makes your tank stand out and look good!

In the end you could go either way the decision is yours. The difference between a planted and a bbt will not kill or harm your fishes.
Good luck hope you enjoy those little guys!!
Old 01-25-2012, 04:49 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Both my discus tanks are heavily planted. Just gotta select tank mates and plants that can tolerate the warmer water discus need. Do your weekly water changes and offer a varied diet. If your discus get sick it's hard to treat in a planted tank without killing your plants that's why some recommend bare bottom. Discus breeders also use bb tanks as well.

Tags
discus, plant, planted, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com