Play sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got 150 pounds of "play sand" from my local rock yard. I put it in a plastic bin and ran water through it for like 20 mins. I churned it around with my hand. It doesn't seem to be getting clear!!! I think the sand may be to fine. Has any one had this problem or do you think I should let the water run longer and keep churning?

I had to rinse play sand for hours and hours!! It was AWFUL! I rinsed it til the water ran clear and even then after adding it to my tank my tank still clouded up a little. I did lots of water changes and it finally got clear.

I had to rinse play sand for hours and hours!! It was AWFUL! I rinsed it til the water ran clear and even then after adding it to my tank my tank still clouded up a little. I did lots of water changes and it finally got clear.

I am going to give it another shot tomorrow but i think I will have the same problem. I was thinking about taking a fluval 405 I have and filling the baskets with poly fill to filter it out. Then clean the filter and set it up with the proper media. Do you think this will burn out the filter? I won't have anything in it but poly fill.

If you tried smaller batches like 1/3 bucket at a time you would get a pretty good result, but once you think its clean, clean it again, and I am not kidding about that! I stuck the hose at the bottom and just kept swishing in circles letting the sediment flush to the top at a slight angle and the dusty water to flow out.

Soon ( 1 1/2 weeks) I will be picking up some coarse garnet sand from a sandblasting supply company, should be more like grains of sand and less dirt due to the nature of the product it will be cleaner. At the supplier it is app $19. I think it was a 50lb bag/ could have been 25lb, been awhile since I talked to them. I posted it a couple months ago somewhere here about sand.

It took me a few days to truly clean out my play sand. After putting it in my tank, it was simply too light and some would occasionally float around.

If possible, I would move to pool filter sand. It is easier to clean and looks a lot better in my opinion.

I am going to give it another shot tomorrow but i think I will have the same problem. I was thinking about taking a fluval 405 I have and filling the baskets with poly fill to filter it out. Then clean the filter and set it up with the proper media. Do you think this will burn out the filter? I won't have anything in it but poly fill.

If you try this, prepare to replace the pump. That sand will eat it up. I would do smaller batches, and just rinse. I like moving the hose up and down in the sand. I used 5 gallon buckets about half full.

I rinsed one one time and threw it in the tank. After about 12-14 hours it settled. It's the really fine sand that floats around. I don't know of its going to work!

I use play sand, and when I clean it, I take 30-50 lbs, put it inside a pillow case, then put the pillow case inside a 5 gallon bucket. I then put the hose in and start filling the bucket. From there, I lift up the pillow case, in a motion only described as like churning butter, lifting the back all the way out, then dunking it back into the bucket with water, letting freshwater constantly flow into it. Has worked well for me. usually is cloudy for a day at most, then clears right up

Got it up and running. Now just looking or some tank mates for my frontosa.

Attachments

• image-4128168787.jpg
    image-4128168787.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 121
Back
Top Bottom