Please help ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

docabear

Aquarium Advice Newbie
It was sold to me as a Rose Queen.

Attachments

• IMG_20130411_110314_589.jpg
    IMG_20130411_110314_589.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_20130411_110350_293.jpg
    IMG_20130411_110350_293.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 156
Looks just like my red devil when i bought it so i would guess definitely red devil. Never seen them labled as rose queen before interesting :)

A rose queen is a morph of flowerhorn. The snout is too blunt for a pure red devil. I'd agree have to agree with HUKIT on the midevil hybrid.

A rose queen is a morph of flowerhorn.

That's a purple rose queen in the flowerhorn mix, a rose queen is a Red Devil/Midas/Midevil x Vieja synspila/parrot from my limited knowledge of hybrids. Just another reason I won't use common names, but since these "things" don't have a genus common names will have to do I suppose.

Ah that seems to be the case, although I'm seeing a lot of confusion as to what they are exactly as I search the internet

It gets confusing because Usually the only physical differences between the red devil and midas are that Red Devils have thicker lips and typically have more pointed mouths. Other than that they will generally appear the same. It can also vary from specimen to specimen and i am sure alot of times when we see red devils they may actually be midas cichlids and vise versa. Chances are too the red devils or midas cichlids we buy may already be hybrids (i think mine probably is) between the two because they tend to be hard to tell apart. So my guess is if you bred a midas with a devil there would be next to no difference. So it would be hard to say. Once they get a little bigger than this it gets a bit easier to tell. Mine looked like this for a while than when it got bigger it got in alot of white colouration with bright orange patches.

It gets confusing because Usually the only physical differences between the red devil and midas are that Red Devils have thicker lips and typically have more pointed mouths. Other than that they will generally appear the same. It can also vary from specimen to specimen and i am sure alot of times when we see red devils they may actually be midas cichlids and vise versa. Chances are too the red devils or midas cichlids we buy may already be hybrids (i think mine probably is) between the two because they tend to be hard to tell apart. So my guess is if you bred a midas with a devil there would be next to no difference. So it would be hard to say. Once they get a little bigger than this it gets a bit easier to tell. Mine looked like this for a while than when it got bigger it got in alot of white colouration with bright orange patches.

Unless you purchase them from a reputable importer such as Jeff Rapps or Gage from Cichlid Connection then they're nearly guaranteed a hybrid. The fish you see today are a result of poor breeding techniques which makes a positive distinction between the two species almost impossible. So yes when you breed the fish you see today there will be little differences, but do that with a wild caught species of each and there will be changes which will slowly deteriorate into what you see today when the dominant gene continues to take over.

There are also more individual characteristics than large lips, there is fin and head shape, nuchal hump size, maximum size differences, and I could go on. So the likelihood you've seen a true labiatus or citrenellus is very slim. Here is TUIC which will clearly show some differences even when juvies.

Tangled Up in Cichlids

Last edited:
Unless you purchase them from a reputable importer such as Jeff Rapps or Gage from Cichlid Connection then they're nearly guaranteed a hybrid. The fish you see today are a result of poor breeding techniques which makes a positive distinction between the two species almost impossible. So yes when you breed the fish you see today there will be little differences, but do that with a wild caught species of each and there will be changes which will slowly deteriorate into what you see today when the dominant gene continues to take over.

There are also more individual characteristics than large lips, there is fin and head shape, nuchal hump size, maximum size differences, and I could go on. So the likelihood you've seen a true labiatus or citrenellus is very slim. Here is TUIC which will clearly show some differences even when juvies.

Tangled Up in Cichlids

Thanks :) this pretty much confirmed what i have is not a true red devil definitely a midevil. For quite a while i had thought i had a male until i caught it laying eggs it was strange though it paired up with a female red bay snook :s

Back
Top Bottom