Please help identify these cichlids!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CA_BroncoFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I received a 29 gal tank today and i set it all up with the fish i was given but i do not nor did the giver know what kind of fish they are except that they are cichlids. The last two are of the same kind of fish i believe but all of these fish are very aggressive toward eachother, now i dont know if that is because it is a new set up and they are marking their territories, but i believe the first one could be a green terror or port acara and the second a pearl cichlid. i have no clue of the last two. thank you

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

I think your totally right about the acei, after burning through the pics online it looks pretty much like the two i have who hate eachother btw. haha

Yeah, just so you know, Africans need a ph of at least 7.4 (for lake malawi cichlids only) but it's recommended for them to have at least 7.8 and should probably have a 55g tank and then you could get more mbunas to minimize aggression.

I think im going to actually give the acei's up as well as the one in the second pic so ill have the jewel as a lone in the 29. I know its prob still too small but thats the cards i was delt. The wife says i get a 100+ in june for my bday so itll be upgraded :)

ok, so its late and ive figured out all but the second pic. for those burning the midnight oil or the early sunday risers, any ideas?

the second pic as in the 4th one, the only one on the second post? Its african, im pretty sure on that... i cant tell from the picture what it is though. Can you get a better pic to show the colors better?

if thats the case, thats a jewel... its got the "jewel" marking on the side near the tail. i thought he meant the last picture of the darker looking fish

Nice, thanks a lot. Rep points around..except mfd and A1 cuz it wont let me :) I actually just left the fish store and they took the acei but i kept both jewels. thanks alot!!

Aww man lol. But it's the thought that counts. That's great that your lfs would take them back :). Those jewels look awesome btw.

Actually they just took them for store credit and if im being completely honest the guy i got the tank from on CL had never done water changes, the box of filters had a made on date of 2007. When i got the fish they had NO color whatsoever, no markings, NOTHING!! so when i cleaned up the tank and set everything up i put them in, went to work and came home and all their colors had come out. It was sad cuz i asked the guy if ever did water changes and he was like....i just fill it up with tap water wow!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom