Please help me id the sex of my Blue Rams..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjldad

Aquarium Advice Freak
These two were being chased around pretty heavily by some Convicts at the local store.. I'm hoping one is male and the other female..

They seem kinda lovey-dovey on each other in the big tank... :)
Thanks for the help!

ram1.jpg

ram2.jpg

Best guess is they're both female, but need some closer shots to be sure.

I've heard of so many varying ways to determine the sex of them. Someone mentioned the dorsal fin would be slightly longer on the male on the first two fins.. but then in books the only difference I could see was size and a slightly duller color.

Hope you figure it out!

Yeah, it seems that's what I'm running it to as well..

Unfortunately, the one that was being bullied around so much at the store has passed.. The other is thriving and having a great time..

There are a few different ways to sex rams. One of the easier ways is to compare the black spike on their dorsal fins. If the spike it even with the rest of the dorsal fin, it's a female. If the spike is noticeably higher than the rest of the dorsal fin, it's a male. Once they've matured, you can oftentimes also distinguish a female by their pink bellies.

Also, blue rams do best in male/female pairs. So I'd suggest getting your ram a new partner if at all possible.

Difficult to tell from the picture. Males are generally larger and have elongated rays at the front of the dorsal fin. Females are smaller with a more rounded body shape, and have a pinkish area on the stomach.

I need to get a better picture for sure.. The remaining ram does have "showier" (is that a word) fins. The dorsal spike is higher and the back of the dorsal comes up instead of straight back. However, the pectoral fins have the black leading edge to them.. So I dunno.. No pink tummy or anything, and is very happy.. I'd like to get a pair of a male & a female but them not having a drivers license makes it difficult.. :)

I have also heard the black dot on the females don't have the bright blue spots on them. They also have black on their dorsal fins and less showy fins.

I have also heard the black dot on the females don't have the bright blue spots on them. They also have black on their dorsal fins and less showy fins.

the black dot method is one of the better IDs. The males have solid black, while females have blue specs in the dot.

also, the pelvic fin used to be a good identifier, though it's not as accurate anymore. Females have a black leading edge to the pelvic fins.

So my single ram we still think is a female? Looks like a few blue specs on her black dot...

I'd say female too. She is "showing" and has lots of color, so that probably means it's pretty happy. My female GBR isn't that colorful unless she getting ready to, or already has spawned

Now that I've had a chance to look at the pics on my computer, I think the other one may be a male.

The picture of the single ram looks like a male you think? Ugh! :)

And yes, the lone ram does seem quite happy..

No, the picture of the single ram is a female.

How many rams are there?

Ok, good.. I purchased two originally.. One died. He was being bullied around by some convicts at the store so I wasn't shocked by that.. I only have the one left.. My plan is to get my lfs get me a pair of another female and a male to make it two females and a male...

I'd have to go with the black dot method. All the other ways I tried to identified seemed almost ambiguous with my fish, which is really quite amusing.
As already mentioned, if you look at the black dot, iridescent blue spots will be present on a females, whereas males will be void.
I've got two females and they are best buds. Sadly one is currently sick and I hope to get her better soon. =(
I've attached a picture of mine (as you can see one does have a pinker stomach, which can sometimes be an indicator, however I've chosen to stick with the dot method).

Attachments

• feesh.jpg
    feesh.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 76
Nice picture! I plan on going by the store today.. Just called and they said they got 5 in earlier this week. Hopefully a male is in the bunch!

Back
Top Bottom