please help, more fish with bacterial infection in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haleybeth30

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I lost my sunshine peacock to fin rot/columnaris in 3 days =( even after methylene blue dip and melafix (1 day) treatment in tank. since then I've noticed 2 greyish white small spot on my rubin red's side (hard to see in pics) and my blue dolphin has white tipped fins and lip.. I am on day 4 of melafix treatment and new stuff popping up on my fish. Do I need stronger med??
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate is very little
I haven't been changing water as frequently, melafix says not to until after 7 day treatment. Tank is just becoming cycled hence my almost daily water changes previous to now. Please help, I don't want to lose any more =( oh please note the white on the top part of dolphins tail too, wasn't there before starting treatment... thank you

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130711_110339.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130711_110339.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 88
  • ForumRunner_20130711_110418.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130711_110418.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 91
  • ForumRunner_20130711_110432.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130711_110432.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 89
  • ForumRunner_20130711_110445.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130711_110445.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 89
I read an article that TMP sulfa can be used to treat both fin rot and columnaris could I use this with melafix?

good news is both fish still eating. I even saw my dolphins doing the mating dance over a flat rock last night. please help, Should I try different med or keep going with melafix or both.. I know meds will decrease or kill my bb which I have little of, I think. I don't know what to do. Should I dip them in methylene blue. Last time I tried this, I followed directions and fish was floating around right afterward. I thought he was gone. He made it through next day, but was really far gone, open columnaris infection..

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130711_131335.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130711_131335.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 91
  • ForumRunner_20130711_131451.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130711_131451.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 87
  • ForumRunner_20130711_131724.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130711_131724.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 75
I could try again with lesser dosage of methylene blue?? or get different med?

The best medication I've found to work with Columnaris is Jungle or Tetras Fungus Clear. Drop the temp down into the low to mid 70's to slow the infection and perform 3 doses following the directions, I'd also dose the aquarium salt at 1-2 tablespoons per 5 gallons. Stop that Melafix as it doesn't cure anything, I'd dump it down the sink or use it as paperweight.

Stop that Melafix as it doesn't cure anything, I'd dump it down the sink or use it as paperweight.

I was just about to say that but look like HUKIT beat me to it, the only thing melafix has ever done was made my wallet lighter and my house smell like tea tree oil.

thank you both. I will get it today. So, what if the fish have different infections or if one has bacterial issue, will the fungal med still get rid of their diseases? p.s. I was wondering what that smell was...

I called the reef, good lfs in Indianapolis, got artemiss microbe lift, anyone ever used it?, it says it treats both fungus and bacterial w/o killing nitrifying bacteria.. sound like a plan? =) thanks

thanks again, it's not like melafix it treats disease, just hope it works!

Sure, not happy one though. =( The microbe lift stuf was not helping at all. Sickest fish had fin rot, my peacock something else. I stopped the microbe lift day 2, they were getting worse. I did a 5 day trtmt with tetra all in one. Ended up losing 4 fish, cried a little =( I've been doing massive daily wcs and am now happy to report that the remaining 8 of my peacocks/haps/mbuna seem happy and disease free. The lesson I learned: Don't try the natural stuff (melafix, microbe lift) to reverse disease. It could be used as precautionary treatment for certain kinds new fish, I suppose... other than that not effective ime.

another note, I think I'm going to start looking for paraguard by seachem. I keep reading that it's good stuff.. also jungle fungus treatment. I hope to have it on hand, just in case =)

Sure, not happy one though. =( The microbe lift stuf was not helping at all. Sickest fish had fin rot, my peacock something else. I stopped the microbe lift day 2, they were getting worse. I did a 5 day trtmt with tetra all in one. Ended up losing 4 fish, cried a little =( I've been doing massive daily wcs and am now happy to report that the remaining 8 of my peacocks/haps/mbuna seem happy and disease free. The lesson I learned: Don't try the natural stuff (melafix, microbe lift) to reverse disease. It could be used as precautionary treatment for certain kinds new fish, I suppose... other than that not effective ime.

Thank you for the info. I am sorry for your losses. Recently had a different thing happen, pH crash, and fish loss - now this too :( I am probably going to try Kanamycin next if I can make sure it will be safe for the inverts and BB. (Already tried Maracyn Two)

Quarantine new fish...that is how this was introduced in my tank, I knew better too, but was moving and they looked fine at the time. Was breaking down my regular QT tank to get rid of, had to downsize. The small one (QT tank) was still packed.:banghead:

So I understand. I prefer the more natural approach too. But the meds are there for a reason. So I shall use them when needed only. Thank you again for the update.

Glad you still have a good group of fish now and things seem to be better!

Thanks girls, I will definitely get my qt ready and use it. Good luck with your fishies!

Back
Top Bottom