Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question Please help!!!! My discus are dying!!

I have a 130 gallon tank set up with discus, i have lost three already, and i have spent a ton of money on meds. That have not worked, the symptoms: they will start swimming real fast running into things and darting like something has scared them, next i noticed one that died had small spots on their side the size of a nickel that was lighter in color. Anyone with any info on this would be greatly appreciated, the local pet store jus keeps selling me meds that dont work!! I have six discus left in the tank, size ranging from 4 inches to six inches. Thanks!!

Old 01-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Hi and welcome!
I'm sorry for your losses.
Could you supply us with some more info.
What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
How often are water changes?
Can you post some pictures?
How long have you had the fish?
How old is the tank?
And any other info you might think will help.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Check your heater, make sure it isn't shocking the discus, look for any signs of damage to it. I lost three discus of a heater failure.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Really sorry about your loses!
If it was a heater failure I think all the Discus or inhabitants of the tank would've been affected by it as well
Old 01-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I agree with mumma, we need to know your tank parameters to better help you. I too have lost discus before. sucks.

125 malawi cichlid, 110 Discus, 75 reef, 30 reef, 27 reef, 4 planted
herp_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Sounds like flashing with all the running into things. Need some more info, like the others said, before any accurate advice can be given. I doubt it is heater related from the sounds of it.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Some of my cichlids acted like that too when one of the heaters cracked, they were crazy, banging themselves into the sides of the tank...luckily I was home and was able to unplug and remove it. Did water change immediately and they all survived fortunately. Not all of them acted like that though, just a few of them?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok guys, sorry for tha delay of getting back, but all my water parms. Are in the correct ranges, tha ph is 6.5-7.0 water temp was at 82 degrees,but now i have it around 74 degrees, and also i do a 50% water change every two weeks. I have one that is in a sick tank now, it was going crazy, and running into things, and also they are all except one of my big males very shy, they stay hiding behind a big stump of drift wood, it seems to b some kind of parisite to me, this seem to have started after i had a fresh water stingray in tha tank, and i was feeding him ghost shrimp. But he died also! I have lost $600.00 worth of discus and two of them was two large wild tefe greens. I will try to post a few pics of the tank, its a 130 gallon. The local pet shop in my town, has sold me so much meds to treat tha fish but no results. Also i forgot to mention, their appetite is not great either, and on the last tefe green i have, the long fins under the belly that hang down and pointed, has actually shortend up and are blunted instead of being pointed. Thanks to all that has responded.
Chris Townsend
Old 01-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer629
Ok guys, sorry for tha delay of getting back, but all my water parms. Are in the correct ranges, tha ph is 6.5-7.0 water temp was at 82 degrees,but now i have it around 74 degrees, and also i do a 50% water change every two weeks. I have one that is in a sick tank now, it was going crazy, and running into things, and also they are all except one of my big males very shy, they stay hiding behind a big stump of drift wood, it seems to b some kind of parisite to me, this seem to have started after i had a fresh water stingray in tha tank, and i was feeding him ghost shrimp. But he died also! I have lost $600.00 worth of discus and two of them was two large wild tefe greens. I will try to post a few pics of the tank, its a 130 gallon. The local pet shop in my town, has sold me so much meds to treat tha fish but no results. Also i forgot to mention, their appetite is not great either, and on the last tefe green i have, the long fins under the belly that hang down and pointed, has actually shortend up and are blunted instead of being pointed. Thanks to all that has responded.
Chris Townsend
I believe the temp is way to slow, it will stress out the discus more, they like warm water. Have you tried lowering the pH down to 5? From what I understand any fungus/parasite won't do well in a low pH, it will slow it down. and it wouldn't hurt to do some large water changes, back to back, discus need fresh clean water. And I am very sorry, wish I could help more.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the ph is stable don't change it.
As for the temp it really should be 10 degrees higher.

Tags
discus, dyi, dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com