PLEASE HELP!! Oscar has faded scales!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finnylegend55

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just noticed right now that my oscars scales are fading. Can someone please tell me what is happening?

image-2347670445.jpg

image-1097931459.jpg

Either your oscar is growing, his mood is changing, or there is something wrong with the water parameters.

Using a liquid test kit, what are the readings for

ammonia
nitrites
nitrates

I put in 4 skate rocks from my backyard a couple days ago. I boiled them and then put them in. I read that is might not be good and can change PH level. Do you think that did it?

The pH was 7.2, the nitrate was 40, and the ammonia was over 8.0. Is all this good or bad, and could this be the reason why my fish is like this.

I also read a little about this and t said something about fish turbuculosis... Could that be it?

Your ammonia should be zero in a cycled tank, considering you have nitrates. You need to do a couple of big water changes, like two 75% water changes back to back. Then 50% everyday until you get the ammonia down to 0 ppm.

What water conditioner are you using?

Did you just change something in your filters?

Did you just add new fish?

Are you sure you did the ammonia test correctly?

Ammonia at 8?? I think your fish would be dead if it was that high. Im hoping its not that high or he wont last long at all. I suggest doing a very very large water change right now! Also what size tank is this?

8 is off the scale. I was reading of adverse affects on fish at .25 and .50. If ammonia is high, fish may go to the top gasping for air or lie listlessly on the bottom. Clamping is when fins are pulled tight against the body. Your Oscar fins are pretty much full extent. Retest.

I have only had the tank for a coupe weeks know. Could that be why the ammonia is so high?

You'll get through it. Just need some patience to get the cycle going. The helpful bacteria need to set up shop in there. Extra aeration could be a good idea as ammonia can make it harder for a fish to breathe.

SRC <><

Back
Top Bottom